He naps way too much he worries me

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
He naps way too much lately he actually worries me. When I first got him he was so active, he literally was there and there. What could possibly cause his loss of energy?? His tattered fins and his tail is basically just a piece of thread, he also stopped all the flaring? Should I try doing a water change today?

He is a young betta, got him about 3 weeks ago, 4 weeks ago and he was a very active boy and now he naps way too much and his fins are all tattered and his tail is basically a piece of thread.
I have put in 1 and a half heaped tablespoon (1 heaped tablespoon per 20L) like you advised for his tattered tail.
Ammonia and nitrite should be 0ppm and nitrates are kept below 20ppm and recently I have added Salvinia.

Attachments

• 15939506380851242555831.jpg
    15939506380851242555831.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 1593950782634292448206.jpg
    1593950782634292448206.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 59
You can use 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Have you checked the ammonia and nitrite today?
Did you do a big water change and gravel clean?
Have you cleaned the filter in the last 2 weeks?
Wipe the inside of the glass down before doing water changes.

Is this your only fish?
I've got a 33 gallon with livebearers as my main fish.
You can use 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Have you checked the ammonia and nitrite today?
Did you do a big water change and gravel clean?
Have you cleaned the filter in the last 2 weeks?
Wipe the inside of the glass down before doing water changes.
Ok, I will use 2 tablespoons per 20L.
I will check nitrite and ammonia, dinner awaits.
He is due for a cleaning of his home.
I will do everything you say almighty Colin :)

NH4 is ammonia

Have dinner then wipe the glass, clean the filter, do a big water change and gravel clean and then add 2 heaped tablespoons of salt.

You can do a big water change each day for a week and add salt each water change. If there's no improvement after a week, post more pics.

NH4 is ammonia

Have dinner then wipe the glass, clean the filter, do a big water change and gravel clean and then add 2 heaped tablespoons of salt.

You can do a big water change each day for a week and add salt each water change. If there's no improvement after a week, post more pics.
I'm so stupid, I thought NH4 was something else and NH3 WAS the ammonia. I guess I forgot science then :rofl:

You are right. NH3 is ammonia and NH4 is ammonium, but I just use ammonia for both. From an aquarium perspective, there isn't much difference. Its one extra hydrogen molecule because of the pH.

You are right. NH3 is ammonia and NH4 is ammonium, but I just use ammonia for both. From an aquarium perspective, there isn't much difference. Its one extra hydrogen molecule because of the pH.
Makes sense. So ammonia/ammonium is 0,05 and nitrite is 0,01 and I don't know if its good?

You want them on 0ppm at all times but if it is 0.0X, then that is very low. If it was 0.5, that is bad but not extreme. If the ammonia is above 1.0, then its a problem.

Most test kits measure ammonia and ammonium combined as total ammonia. JBL's website says it's an ammonia/ammonium tester.

The measurements on the chart on the website are less than 0.05, 0.1, 0.2 etc. If it's the bright yellow colour without any hint of green, that's the same as zero.

Most test kits measure ammonia and ammonium combined as total ammonia. JBL's website says it's an ammonia/ammonium tester.

The measurements on the chart on the website are less than 0.05, 0.1, 0.2 etc. If it's the bright yellow colour without any hint of green, that's the same as zero.
Now it makes sense. Thank you @essjay and @Colin_T .

He started pacing at flaring at his reflection again :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back