HB copper green platinum guppy

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I've been observing one of my mutt tanks. And I've picked out a halfblack copper green platinum male guppy that I'd like to breed. I've already put him in a separate tank. Tomorrow I will look into some virgin females that are recessive for the traits of their own strain. The F1 daughters will be used to be crossed to their father. He's a real stunner...
IMG_9493.JPGIMG_9473.JPGIMG_9471.JPGIMG_9441.JPGIMG_9440.JPGIMG_9423.JPGIMG_9505a.jpg

Last edited:
I've been observing one of my mutt tanks. And I've picked out a halfblack copper green platinum male guppy that I'd like to breed. I've already put him in a separate tank. Tomorrow I will look into some virgin females that are recessive for the traits of their own strain. The F1 daughters will be used to be crossed to their father. He's a real stunner...
View attachment 131149View attachment 131150View attachment 131151View attachment 131156View attachment 131160View attachment 131161View attachment 131162
Oow that's a pretty fish!

Im jealous we get nothing like that here, They are usually dull colourings, Unless of course you pay a premium from a worldwide breeder.
I have noticed though some new place i have started using have always got some nice endlers & slightly more coloured up females but im reluctant to buy anything right now after my community tank has had an epic plague
The guppy grow out is fine but i wanted to keep a few males in there but they kept fighting so i got rid

Ooohh, I have one really similar to that one! From my mutt guppies, the greenish gold metallic catches under the tank lights and I love him! Looked quite dull when he was young,but something about him caught my eye as he started to get the goldish sheen, so I held him back. Kept wavering on whether to keep him, but always decided to keep him, and the colours really intensify between 4-6 months old.

Oow that's a pretty fish!
Well,, thank you...

Im jealous we get nothing like that here, They are usually dull colourings, Unless of course you pay a premium from a worldwide breeder.
I have noticed though some new place i have started using have always got some nice endlers & slightly more coloured up females but im reluctant to buy anything right now after my community tank has had an epic plague
The guppy grow out is fine but i wanted to keep a few males in there but they kept fighting so i got rid
Well, this one came from my mutt tank. Not even from a store.
Well, if you're able to invest time and effort, you can create a nice looking strain as well. But some knowledge of genetics is preferable.
Ooohh, I have one really similar to that one! From my mutt guppies, the greenish gold metallic catches under the tank lights and I love him! Looked quite dull when he was young,but something about him caught my eye as he started to get the goldish sheen, so I held him back. Kept wavering on whether to keep him, but always decided to keep him, and the colours really intensify between 4-6 months old.
Oh, wow. Do you have a pic of him? I'm really curious how he looks like.
Let us know how the babies turn out! :wub:
We have to give it some time before the first fry will show up...

I have first fry right now from a breeding pair i selected, They were father daughter, If they dont turn out i will start again. Im returning to my job soon (60 hours a week) so wont have much time to mess with strains, so i may have to put them on hold till i retire ?

Well,, thank you...

Well, this one came from my mutt tank. Not even from a store.
Well, if you're able to invest time and effort, you can create a nice looking strain as well. But some knowledge of genetics is preferable.

We have to give it some time before the first fry will show up...
This is a terrible photo, I'm sorry! But he's refusing to pose, and that tank is a mess right now with masses of plant floating in it making it pretty dark. Still trying to get better pics where you can see the metallics more, and his tail, but for now, grabbed this one
DSCF6482.JPG

Man, that's a terrible pic. Hang on, gonna stick a tetramin tab to the tank glass and try and get one where he's in focus!

Okay, still not brilliant photos, but slightly clearer. You can see his colours more anyhow. Am I mad? Seeing yours reminded me of this one of mine, but you know I'm far from a guppy expert. Do you see why I thought they were similar though?

Now, I'm also worrying. I thought these males were swallow tailed, since the yellow snakeskin male you can see in the first photo, with the ragged/uneven swallow fins is their dad, so I thought they'd all got his fin genes. But looking at these pics, it looks like regrowth at the tips, fin rot? And I can see a split in the copper/platinum male's tail that I haven't seen before :(

I can't decide if I'd want it to be fin rot or not. If it is, urgh, not another health issue! The water quality in this tank is always good, and weekly water changes always on time. On the other hand, I don't like the uneven ragged looking fins on some of these guys, so if it's fin rot and I can fix it, then I'd prefer how they look! Do you think it's fin rot?
DSCF6597.JPG

Above and below is the yellow snakeskin/cobra dad, bought like that, and the one I think looks like yours, one of his young. Blues unrelated.
DSCF6600.JPG

Below, the copper/platinum(?) male, and one of the yellow snakeskin/cobra young, clone of his dad
DSCF6607.JPG
DSCF6638.JPG
DSCF6659.JPG
DSCF6664.JPG

DSCF6681.JPG

Potentially copper/green platinum male, and in the background, unrelated male whose tail looks fine. Wouldn't the unrelated ones also have fin rot if it is fin rot?
DSCF6722.JPG

Another offspring of the same yellow snakeskin dad, whose colours I really love, but he has the uneven tail, including what looks like a big chunk out of the centre. Can the swallow gene produce a big chunk missing rather than just the ragged edges?
DSCF6618.JPG

You can see the big chunk missing from the centre of the tail in that male here. But also the unrelated blue who has the normal tail, no ragged edges or chunks missing... The yellow/orange tail same batch as multicoloured one here, same dad, swallow tail like his dad, looks more normal and less ragged looking than this one or the potential copper green/platinum.
DSCF6712.JPG

Nothing in the tank that could be nipping, only pygmy cories and otocinclus in here. Unless they're nipping each other? Haven't heard of male guppies nipping each other, there's no obvious bullying in the tank, some chasing and displaying, but no targeted bullying or intense chasing like I've seen in bully fish before.

Welll, the specific male in pic#2 is te best picture of him. He does have some similarities when I look at him but not exactly. Mine is more coppery. But, I do get you thoughts about him.
The swallow gene takes care of irregular shapes of the tail. And yes, that can look different on every single male. But the specific male we were talking about does show as if he's got fin rot or it's been just damaged and tries to heal.

Welll, the specific male in pic#2 is te best picture of him. He does have some similarities when I look at him but not exactly. Mine is more coppery. But, I do get you thoughts about him.
The swallow gene takes care of irregular shapes of the tail. And yes, that can look different on every single male. But the specific male we were talking about does show as if he's got fin rot or it's been just damaged and tries to heal.
I really appreciate your opinion and your thoughts, thank you!

I'll keep a close eye on their tails and look to treating them if there is some fin rot or damage going on. Yes, yours does look as though he has more copper! I almost sent mine to the store half a dozen times, thinking he was a pretty dull looking male, but the way the golden metallics caught the lights sometimes just grabbed me, kept thinking of him as my metallic/goldish boy, so ended up keeping him. Not to breed, just a male I like :)

Most reactions

trending

Back