Having Problems With My C02 Mix

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luke_e

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Sorry for posting earlier then editing it asking for it to be deleted, thought i'd sorted my problem..
I have a nutrafin c02 DIY kit and after reading about how rubbish the packets provided were, i thought it would be sensible to make a DIY mixture.
After reading a few i've seen most of them say use sugar to the first level. So i mixed sugar in hot water to disolve it and then cooled it to warm with cold water. I poured this into the tube (i measured how much sugar got me to the first level then used this in the cup) and i added the yeast (a sachet) slowly brought the water up to a warm temp, mixed it in and then attached it. But i got nothing.
I used normal granulated sugar, and bread yeast...
Is there a better way of adding the sugar and yeast?

20-30 is about the same as your tank, so stick you finger in the tank then in the water and if its about the same its fine :)

i) Fill sugar to first fin.
ii) Mix yeast with the warm water
iii) Pour this to the caniser
iv) Top up to 2cm below the top with more warm water
v) Give it a good shake or stir to dissolve all the sugar
vi) Hook it up! It should produce bubbles in about an hr but often takes just a few minutes

Simple as that!

Sam

I put my sugar straight in to the 1st fins.
Fill to a couple of cm with look warm water ( I reckon colder is better than too hot cause that kills the yeast)
Add about 3/4 teaspoon of allisons dried active yeast
Add about 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.
Stir it all together with a chop stick or something like that.
Put the top on cover the hole , give it a few shakes, attach to diffuser.
Bubbles in an hr or so, usually less :)

I put my sugar straight in to the 1st fins.
Fill with a couple of cm with hot warm water
top off with cold (make sure its just warm not hot or it will kill yeast)
Add about 3/4 teaspoon of allisons dried active yeast
Add about 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. ( not needed if your water is hard)
Stir it all together with a chop stick or something like that.
Put the top on cover the hole , give it a few shakes, attach to diffuser.

:D sorry digimac to idle to type it all out so cut and pasted your reply

Thanks for the replies everyone, i think the reason i didnt get anything is because i left it 2 mins before i emptyed the mix an started again lol :D.
I'll give it another shot this evening.

Sorry for posting earlier then editing it asking for it to be deleted, thought i'd sorted my problem..
I have a nutrafin c02 DIY kit and after reading about how rubbish the packets provided were, i thought it would be sensible to make a DIY mixture.
After reading a few i've seen most of them say use sugar to the first level. So i mixed sugar in hot water to disolve it and then cooled it to warm with cold water. I poured this into the tube (i measured how much sugar got me to the first level then used this in the cup) and i added the yeast (a sachet) slowly brought the water up to a warm temp, mixed it in and then attached it. But i got nothing.
I used normal granulated sugar, and bread yeast...
Is there a better way of adding the sugar and yeast?

I'm not sure if we're talking in the same sizes but my sachets of yeast last 6 weeks, mate. If you're adding a sachet of yeast to a Nutrafin unit you're using way too much yeast.
Half a teaspoon is plenty....IME

Do as RYO, digimac and themuleous do for the mix. After shaking/mixing I usually leave the lid open for a while (an hour) to let the reaction get started properly...this seems to make the mix last longer...

Andy

Well i was experimenting with the amount lol.
The box says "enough for 10 loaves of bread" so i presume thats a lot?
Thanks for the tips guys, i'll let you know how i get along later.

Ok i've got bubbles, but they arent constant, well they come out like every 5 seconds, and it doesnt seem to flow up the ladder smoothly, it stops at one point up the ladder, and the bubbles build up into a big one then it slowly creeps up the ladder, and just as its about to shift up a level and go up on the side closest to me, because the bubbles so big it comes off the ladder and straight to the surface :/

Will this fix once i have a quicker bubble rate?
EDIT: Ok seems to be more like a bubble ever 1 - 2 seconds. And the area where it was building up seems to have moved up higher so i am guessing it will reach a point where it wont build up.
EDIT: Yea the build up area seems to be moving up, so hopefully in a few hours it will be ok. I'm just testng it for for when i get my tank and bits all set up.
EDIT: Its working fully now, no stoppages on the way, its great to see the bubbles get smaller and smaller until they are tiny at the top.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back