Have Your Bettas Ever Gotten Along With Other Fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kyla

Reaction score
I am about to get a new betta. 
biggrin.png
 I do have a five gallon reserved for him, but I may need it to house some Molly fry until they are big enough not to get eaten. Or I'll just buy another tank, LOL. Anyway, I was just curious, how common is it for Bettas to get along with other fish? a couple years ago I had a really docile crowntail. His name was Steve and I kept him in my community tank. He never even looked at another fish. It was a sad day when Steve passed away, I never found another betta like him. Anyone have any experiences like that?

Certain Betta's get along with certain types of other fish often enough. I would be willing to put (a lot of) money on the fact that any Betta you get will eat Molly fry, they will just be seen as live food.

Oh, I didn't mean to say that I would keep the Betta with my molly fry! I was going to put him in my big community tank if he got along with other fish. Haha no, I'm pretty sure any fish would eat those little guys, even their own momma! 
biggrin.png

I can always divide a section of my community tank off for him if he doesn't, however.

It's kind of hit or miss with Bettas. Each has their own little personality, and some are like your Steve, others just the opposite.

What helps though is when they are being put into the community as the last addition so they don't see it as others invading his territory. You still will have to have a plan B at the ready should things go bad. 

When I go to the fish shop, they always have the odd betta in with a bunch of guppies and endlers swimming happily in between and not attacking anyone. Try to find one like it maybe.
My betta is something in between. I've seen him flare just a couple of times and one time he did that to an otto that refused to move, so he attacked it without doing much damage, just poked it.  But he's fine with corys although he seems to overgorge himself on their food and scares them away from it, so I prefer to keep him alone for that reason although he's temporary co-existing with some corys still.

Dont forget most bettas sold in stores are juveniles, they may get on with there tank mates now but if you were to introduce adult fish into a community there may well be problems. If you want your betta to be a community fish, and personally I agree with that, keep the numbers down, his tank mates should be smaller (not bite size) and preferably not to flashy in the fin department. If a betta grows up with companions things will probably run smoothly, just dont add anything later on that may annoy him.

I just realised I posted a reply in the wrong thread sorry!
My first one got on with platies but not cories. I don't know why but when they swam-it freaked him out and he would go and hide. 
Rusty would flare at everything!
Oddball the one I have now has come from a tank of guppies!

Ny82 said:
I just realised I posted a reply in the wrong thread sorry!
My first one got on with platies but not cories. I don't know why but when they swam-it freaked him out and he would go and hide. 
Rusty would flare at everything!
Oddball the one I have now has come from a tank of guppies!
Ugh Ny what a nightmare!

If you're on fb, try in the group search for a fish based selling site, we have loads in Kernow :D - you may find someone selling a tank in your area cheap.

How stressful! :(

Here's one Ny

https://www.facebook.com/groups/304297866315696/?ref=ts&fref=ts

And here's another

https://www.facebook.com/groups/238492776211977/?ref=ts&fref=ts

They are both closed groups, so if you are on fb you'll need to request to join - good luck x

How did you do that Ny? Lol now my post just looks silly!

Admin can you please move my posts to Nylahs thread? Thanks :D

My Oh-so lovely (Pain in the butt..) Oliver dislikes anything in his tank with him. Whether it be the accidental Platy fry that are swimming around in there, or snails. Yes, snails.
I recently removed Gummy the Plec as Oliver was beating him up D:

It's safe to say,
He's not allowed to have friends anymore.

Meeresstille said:
It's kind of hit or miss with Bettas. Each has their own little personality, and some are like your Steve, others just the opposite.

What helps though is when they are being put into the community as the last addition so they don't see it as others invading his territory. You still will have to have a plan B at the ready should things go bad. 
+1
Look forward to seeing your new Betta.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back