Have I got this wrong??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ami-Jane

Reaction score
Got my tank cycled and added 7 male guppies and a mix of 7 platys. Turns out 3 males for 4 females.

Two of the males have been constantly chasing one of the females all the others have been left alone.

I’ve gone and bought 2 females today to try and up the female numbers. They still seem interested in just this one female and the guppies also seem more interested in the two newcomers!

Have I got this wrong? Am I best to replace the male platys and the guppies

male live bearing fish will spend much of time chasing females they are trying to breed with them especially with your situation what may be happening is that your female platy my be getting close to giving birth which makes the females more vulnerable for the males to want to breed with them.

your guppies are probably a bit curious about newcomers entering there environment

IMG_20200128_183734~2.jpg

Doesn't look like she's about to drop fry or am I wrong? Thought the black would be further back??

IMG_20200129_183354.jpg

The two bad males and guppy have gone in the naughty box for now and everyone else is getting on so may look to re-home these three. Shame as they are beautiful blue.

That's why don't get why they are singling her out?? There are 6 other females in there!

the fish in the pictures are platies not guppies, altho there does appear to be a male guppy in the breeding net with some platies.

livebearers should be kept in single sex tank to stop males harassing females.

Definitely 7 guppies in there, not wrong about that ;)

Read platys were ok tank mates with guppies?

The three I've put in the box seem to be the trouble makers. Rest seem to be doing ok now?

Lol! Given them a few too many places to hide I think. Thought it would be a good thing. Least not overcrowding.

Not the result I wanted having to take some back to the shop :(

Might have to think of some other tank mates instead

Definitely 7 guppies in there, not wrong about that ;)

Read platys were ok tank mates with guppies?

The three I've put in the box seem to be the trouble makers. Rest seem to be doing ok now?
Platies and guppies are fine together. It is best to have single sex tanks though. Male guppies and male platies or females of each in a tank unless you have a 3 or 4 female to 1 male ratio

After a day, two male platys and two guppies that seem to be the problem will be going back to the store Saturday

Last male platy seems pretty chilled out and the other guppies are also fine not showing any interest.

When these go back will have 7 platys and 5 guppies. Can anyone recommend suitable tank mates? Would prefer to get this right now.

Tank is 150l, planted.

Tank readings
PH 7
KH 15
GH 20

Both my lfs say their fish are used to the local hard water but...

Platies and guppies are fine together. It is best to have single sex tanks though. Male guppies and male platies or females of each in a tank unless you have a 3 or 4 female to 1 male ratio
it is unnecessary to have that many females to each male it's about getting the balance right lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back