Have A Look At Percy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
He is pretty cute, buy can you keep red bellys on thier own? Dont they need to have others of the same kind with them?

He is pretty cute, buy can you keep red bellys on their own? Dont they need to have others of the same kind with them?

reds can be kept on there own, alot of members of piranha forum do so and they seem to do really well. if you want to keep them in a group they need to be kept as a minimum of 4 to keep aggression on individual fish down

I just found some recently at a local petstore in the mall. You need permits here, but I hightly doubt they would even ask if I had a permit for them. They had 4 that were decent sized, and about 12 tiny ones, guppie sized. 12$ each, just wish I had a tank for them, woulda snatched them up.

I gotta say swaping tanks to go with his size is not a good idea as he will be used to one enviroment and be forced into another. All your doing is stressing him out beyond beleif, also, smaller tanks won't stop him from growing large, it'll take longer sure, but this weakens his immune system, causes a large amount of stress, and in the long run will be the death of him

I have kept quiet a few red bellies since I started keeping fish. I had one particular red belly that I kept from dime size to what appeared to be just over 10'' before I gave him to a buddy of mine. He was massive. He was in a 55 gallon with the only fish that ended up staying alive...convicts. Half his size but twice the attitude.

I usually keep a small one in my 10 gallon (which I have now) and I upgrade them as I go. Piranha are legal here and easy to get so I usually raise them to a decent size and sell them or give them away. They eventually outgrow any tank I have.

I have had at least a couple dozen and I have never lost one due to water quality or sickness. They seem very sturdy. Only ones I have lost were eaten by tank mates. I keep them fed but I have noticed once one starts getting bigger it will either eat the rest or the smallest one will lol.

I had 6 half dollar sized red bellies in a 55 gallon alone. I had 6 one night before bed and 1 when I woke up. It had eaten the rest and was so bloated I thought it may die. I have had very little lucky keeping schools for some reason. I feed them a lot but they always seem to cannibalize each other. So I normally keep them alone now. Or maybe with smaller convicts or other semi aggressive cichlids.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back