hatching Nerite eggs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I somehow ended up with 2 Nerite snails and I'm now finding Nerite eggs.
I got a Zebra nerite snail when I got a plant and found him in the bag with the plant when I got home. I got a tiger Nerite snail when I saw him in a tank with over 20 Assassin snails and I felt bad for him.
I have a few questions:
How would I go about hatching Nerite snail eggs?
Could a Zebra nerite and Tiger nerite produce fertile eggs or are the eggs I'm finding infertile?
I know the eggs need saltwater to hatch. I would use aquarium salt in a 4 liter bucket but how much salt should I add for them?
If the eggs hatch I'm pretty sure the babies need to be moved to brackish water. How would I transition them to Brackish water?
If the eggs hatch when can I move the babies to my Freshwater tanks?
How long do Nerite eggs take to hatch?
What should I feed the baby snails?
Thanks for reading! Any help is greatly appreciated! I know breeding nerite snails is really hard and it's probably better to just buy some more if I want them but I feel like breeding them would be really interesting and it would be amazing if I got any baby Nerites out of it!

Last edited:
The problem is feeding the nerite larvae. Not only do they need a specific salinity, they also need microscopic plankton to feed on. Very few fish keepers can provide what they need.

Google suggests that tiger nerites are Vittina semiconica, though I've only come across them called red onion or racing stripe or orange track nerites. Zebra nerites are Vittina coromandeliana

Most reactions

Back