Has Anyone Visited The Amazon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i was just reading about the blue eyed plec, never heard of it before. apparantly it was getting a bit rare in its homeland, but fortunately - for teh fish at least - guerilla warfare and drug gangs meant that the areas the fish breed and live in became out of bounds, meaning they could thrive. so they're probably common and cheap now, as long as you take an army with you to retrieve them. :lol:

Go for it Si.
I got a genuine offer to go on a fish collecting expedition in Feburary 2011 to Peru, by a German enthusiast and his party.
To collect amongst other species Rivulus atratus. Not a very colourful killifish but extremely rare and very hard to breed.
I have had to decline this once in a lifetime offer for financial reasons.
This is one major thing I have to do before I die and I sincerely hope the opportunity comes around again
So if you have the chance to go and sample the Amazon away from the tourists then I say go!!!!
Regards
C

Go for it Si.
I got a genuine offer to go on a fish collecting expedition in Feburary 2011 to Peru, by a German enthusiast and his party.
To collect amongst other species Rivulus atratus. Not a very colourful killifish but extremely rare and very hard to breed.
I have had to decline this once in a lifetime offer for financial reasons.
This is one major thing I have to do before I die and I sincerely hope the opportunity comes around again
So if you have the chance to go and sample the Amazon away from the tourists then I say go!!!!
Regards
C

Cheers C
I agree with you on that, I watch that many programes and read about the place it would be a shame never to go and I suppose once I;m passed 40 I;ll be to old for a journey like that!! :lol:

funny you should mention Peru from reading on net it appears to be the better place to go for the tourist but its Brazil that I;d love to go

i would imagine the world cup in 2014 will have some affect on flight prices, whether its up or down i dont know. will also hopefully be an easier place to travel around, as they are having to rebuild airports and public transport.

My uncle (fishkeeper too) is actually from and lives in Colombia and the last time I went to Colombia was in 2007 for 5 weeks We actually took a few trips to the Río Amazonas (Amazon River) and the Rio Orinoco and a few of the small tributaries. Took lots of photos but deleted when my computer got infected :sad:
Anyway, saw lots of odd catfish (Panaques, L129 and other striped and spotted plecos, Whiptails, Otos, Shovelnose Catfish..........), millions of tetras and Hatchetfish, German Blue Rams. And a shoal of massive Altum Angels in the Orinoco. Saw some oddballs like an Electric eels and some cichlids too, the only ones I knew at the time were Acaras and Pike Cichlids :hey: And there were some great freshwater Stingrays too :good: Apologies for blabbering on so much :X

To anyone thinking of going to the Amazon (or Colombia) , its totally worth going to :)

Forgot to say...Colombia is a great place to collect Guppys/Endlers...just head to one of the local rivers/streams with a cup, dunk it into the water and take it out, you should get around 5 Guppys in there. Guppys and Endler are probably the most common fish in colombia. I got about 20 Guppys in a few seconds. Nice colours too. However, there were a lot more Guppys/Endlers in the 1980's. Now, due to pollution (I presume and that, they are less common than they were:shout:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back