Has anyone seen anything like this before?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

So my brand new female platies (bought Wednesday) gave birth over the course of Thursday night into this morning (Saturday). My white calico redtail (Tula) gave birth prematurely, so most of her babies died, but I was able to find and save 7, all of which are still alive as of this post. They are currently 1 1/2 days old, with their egg sacs slowly becoming smaller. My bumblebee (Jazz) started dropping yesterday evening. I was able to find and save 10 before I had to go to bed. I came down this morning and there were a TON more fry popping out of the substrate. I believe I was able to find and save around 10-12 more this morning alone, two or three of which unfortunately died after being put in the fry trap. There is one of Jazz's babies that is deformed, with its tail bent in towards its side and a round body, but it survived the night and is attempting to swim so I have hope for it.
BUT!
There is one (actually, two!) fry that are joined at the belly! Conjoined twins, baby fish style. Both are still alive, flicking their tails and zooming around the fry trap. How unusual is this? Any clue what their chance of survival is? There are 4 babies that if they survive I'm going to keep, including the conjoined ones, the deformed one, and one of Tula's babies that is very tiny. I won't saddle anyone else with fish that might have health issues as the grow up if they survive.
But look at this! I think it's so cool B-) The stuff by them is food that I've seen some babies nibbling off of.

View attachment 148865 View attachment 148866
Thatā€™s amazing! Iā€™ve never heard of that happening in fish. In other animals they are miscarried or donā€˜t last long. best of luck! I wonder if itā€™s a minor skin adhesion that may naturally sever so both would survive, but idk.

Thatā€™s amazing! Iā€™ve never heard of that happening in fish. In other animals they are miscarried or donā€˜t last long. best of luck! I wonder if itā€™s a minor skin adhesion that may naturally sever so both would survive, but idk.
Unfortunately, they passed away sometime this morning :( I was surprised they lasted this long honestly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back