Has Anyone Had Success With Bn's Breeding In A Mbuna Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well I have a few questions.... are the Plecostomus mature? How large of a tank? How many hiding spots?

Sorry but I have never bred Plecostomus in a cichlid tank, but I think I can solve your problem. If you have one.

I highly doubt it would work out well. The fish need totally different parameters. And even the most vegetarian of fish will see fry as a snack.

If one's goal is the breed fish, it is almost always best accomplished in a species tank set up for this purpose.

TTA beat me to it...

Mbuna need hard water and prefer alkaline conditions.

Plecos need soft water and prefer acidic conditions.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't happen, not that it can't, just that the probability is REALLY low.

No!!  That will not work. For the reasons everyone else listed
TwoTankAmin said:
I highly doubt it would work out well. The fish need totally different parameters. And even the most vegetarian of fish will see fry as a snack.

If one's goal is the breed fish, it is almost always best accomplished in a species tank set up for this purpose.
I have to comment on this. They may be vegetarian .. They see murder more as a hobby or a sport then as food.. However they will eat fry or murder for fun. If you dump a bunch or chopped prawn in a Mbuna tank they still would eat that even though it not good for them. They are some of the hungriest fish I've ever seen. 

5teady_2012... do you have a Mbuna tank
huh.png
??

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

I don't acutally need any help as such it was just confirmation.
I have been in the fish keeping hobby for nearly 20 years and bred bristlenose many many times, but always done it in my old livebearers tanks, but ive been out the hobby for a few years due to no time because we had a new baby, then another lol.

I recently set up my cichlid tank and I know a lot of people who keep bristlenose with cichlids so I got some bristlenose plecs (3") to grow on to adults not specifically to breed, I was looking for some caves as mine all went when I got rid of everything.
I have now got some caves on the way for them, and if they was to breed, I would removed the eggs whilst in the cave to a smaller tank to grow them as this is how I use to do it when breeding them before.

Like a say it was just confirmation really because some have said thiers have spawned in thiers.
Another question I was going to ask was, as you probably know doing a cold water change triggers them to spawn, but this would be a bad idea in a cichlid tank anyways wouldn't it with the sudden drop in temp?

Its not a big problem il just set up another tank if I decide to breed them at a later date.

Edited.........
I found this in a article.........
Bristle Nose Plecos do well in a tank that's 20 gallons or larger, and can handle a wide range of water conditions from soft and acidic to harder and alkaline. Some hobbyists have found success with Bristle Nose Plecos in cichlid tanks. This may hold true, but it would be best advised to not add them with larger Central and South American cichlids. If you're looking to breed them, do not add into a tank with substrate spawning cichlids because they are likely to devour the eggs

Thoughts on this?

Well the term "cichlid" is being used, its not referencing whether they mean New World or Old World cichlids.

And there's a difference between "handling" a wide range of pH and hardness conditions, and spawning.  So, without seeing the rest of the article, those are my thoughts.  Are they referencing New World cichlid tanks, or are they discussing an Mbuna tank?  I'm leaning towards the former, rather than the latter.

eaglesaquarium said:
Well the term "cichlid" is being used, its not referencing whether they mean New World or Old World cichlids.

And there's a difference between "handling" a wide range of pH and hardness conditions, and spawning.  So, without seeing the rest of the article, those are my thoughts.  Are they referencing New World cichlid tanks, or are they discussing an Mbuna tank?  I'm leaning towards the former, rather than the latter.
I agree! 
And further more Mbunas are some of the most aggressive fish out there no matter the size. Only catfish I recommend in a cichlid tank would be an already nice sized African featherfin. 
I saw your greeting. I know you're not new to fish...but African Cichlids ... Well that is a completely different ball game.

Sorry I am new to cichlids so il be more specific what I have in my tank. as mbuna maybe something I have mistaken in conversation.

I have a yellow labs (all are around 1-2"
yellow tailed acei (1-2")
Cynotilapia afra  (1-2")

and my bristlenose.

I never jump in the deep end with things and always try to gather as much info first and from what iv read and listened to, the fish I have very compatable, but please correct this if its wrong as I don't want unhappy unhealthy fish.

"Mbuna" is a word from the language used by the Tonga people who live around Lake Malawi.  "Mbuna" means rockfish.  The fish you mentioned above are all from Lake Malawi.

Lake Malawi has a very high pH (~8.0+) with high kH (~125 mg/L).

Often times folks use coral sand to help raise the kH and increase the pH and keep it stable.

What are your tank parameters?

Thanks for that.

Not sure on PH, I have only done Ammonia, nitrite, which are both fine.
I have plenty of ocean rock in my tank and sand.

Il post a picture of my setup for you

This is my current setup.

Sorry for the low quality picture

1150312_10200903273201294_1793852306_n.jpg

It looks good.  Might be nice to have a background...

I have a black background for it but the missus likes it this way, cant argue with a pregnant women mate  lol

So what you think, bristlenose is fine in here?

Yup... I know that!  :lol:

Personally, I'd have to know the pH to make a recommendation.  Lake Malawi gets as low as 7.6, and I think that would be ok for the BN.  Higher than that and I'd say probably not. 

Il go get a ph test kit mate and get back to you soon, least then we will know exactly whats what.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back