Has anynoe ever tried keeping warm water creatures in cold water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes...

I’m not actually sure about BNP. I know for a fact that regular plecos can, but they get really big.

(Edit: I did some research and yes, BNP can survive at room temperature water. ;))

Well if they gt big thats not good for a one gallon tank,,

Would you really doubt me??? I told you, I have one living in 72F and one living in 76F. Hands on proof. In the winter, the 72F is more like 70F. They are both 4 years old. One lives in a heated tank and one doesn’t. :)
Wasn’t doubting you Mama TFF! Just double checking. ;)

Well the algae issue wasnt an issue, i just wanted to get some more interesting creatures in there.

The only fish that live at a constant temperature are aquarium fish. Wild fish are exposed to temperature variations every day and throughout the year.

In lakes and ponds with low water movement there is stratification and the water has different temperatures at different levels. I have surveyed ponds down south that had 32C water around the edges in the shallows, and the same ponds had 12C water at the bottom of the pond. Most of these ponds were only 3-5 feet deep. There were fish in the warm shallow water and also in the deeper cool water.

The temperature also changes throughout the year and even tropical reefs have some variation in temperature, although nowhere near as much as freshwater creeks, streams and rivers. The water around coral reefs might vary from 20-30C throughout the year and at different depths. Most coral reefs have water that is about 24-26C but this can exceed that in shallow lagoons during low tide.

In freshwater rivers near the equator, the water temperature will vary from 15-30C and possibly more. During the wet season the rain water will cool the rivers down, and in the dry season, the water heats up and evaporates. As the water becomes shallower, it heats up even more. I have tested water temperatures in shallow pools down south and the temp was 40C, and there were fish in these pools. The same pools in winter were around 5-10C.

So all wild fish do experience a wide range of water temperatures and it is only captive aquarium fishes that have a constant water temperature caused by aquarium heaters.

-------------------
You cannot change a fish and make it more tolerant of temperature variations by using chemicals.

You can breed fish that are more tolerant of different temperatures by selective breeding. We did this years ago with a number of Australian and New Guinea native fishes that we kept in ponds. We had fish that came from the tropics and we kept them in ponds over summer. At the end of summer we removed most of the fish and put a clear plastic sheet over the pond to help keep it a bit warmer over winter. The following spring there were a few fish alive and they were left in the ponds and bred. Over the next couple of years these fish bred and more survived over winter. Eventually we removed the plastic covers during winter and the fish were fine. Over a 10 year period, we had tropical fish that had bred and developed a bloodline of fish that could live in water with a temperature between 3C and 40C.

We did this with a number of species and had the same results. After 5 generations of breeding these fishes, we had cold water versions of these tropical fish.

The same thing has happened all around the world with Gambusia (mosquitoe fish). These were a warm water fish that was introduced into various countries to control mozzies. They are not very good at doing that but have survived and thrived in all sorts of conditions. We have them in Australia and they will live in water that is 40+C in summer and just above freezing in winter. I have even had them in a bucket of water outside and the surface froze over. The fish were fine in the water under the ice.

Lots of different livebearers and cichlids can be found all around Australia and thrive in temperatures between 5 and 40C. these fishes are all descendants of tropical aquarium fishes that were released from people's aquariums and now live in the wild.

Most catfish are highly tolerant of varying water temperatures and Corydoras can be found in 16C water during winter and 40C water in summer. Most other catfish are the same.

Thank you Colin, may I ask, were you some kind of education professor in environmental studies?

My best suggestion is to get snails. BRH snails to be more specific. Now, there is something you must know about BRH snails. BRH snails multiply, very fast. You must be careful with this as soon you will have a tank over grown with snails. :)

Most reactions

trending

Back