Has any one kept an electric blue jack dempsey with a rainbow shark fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kaylab2021

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently bought two very small ebjd, these were rescued from a pet shop they were both very skinny with pop eye and the smallest ebjd only had one flipper. I have treated the tank and pop eye has got better and the smallest was doing good but a few weeks later woke up to it dead. The biggest jack a week later had blood in its eye (guessing its nocked it on a ornament) but treated the tank the blood drained and has left the fishes eye looking like a zombie eye but he is doing well. I don't think he can see out of this eye now but seems to be doing well, I have him now in a smaller tank waiting for him to get a bit bigger to go into my bigger tank but the bigger tank has a rainbow shark fish my question is will my ebjd be ok with a rainbow shark? Has any one else kept a rainbow shark with cichlids? I have read so many forums and asked so many different people who have had hit and miss depending on the fish its self but want more advise if this will be ok?

Rainbow sharks vary, as you've noticed.

A one eyed fish is a vulnerable fish, and I would never put a vulnerable fish into danger. I know you want it to be okay as a mix, but I don't think it is. If the rainbow shark decides to get territorial, the dempsey has the same territorial needs, and it will be a target. The basic rule of stocking that gets overlooked is that with territory holding fish, you can only have one species per niche. Dempsies and rainbow sharks both orient to the bottom of the tank.

Yeh i get what you mean its a 240litre fully planted shark has lived with neons harlys corys plecs and ember tetras and a blue gourami and an angel never had an issue with him. He never stays in one hide and is all over the tank cleaning plants and wood but never still for a second. I dont know if the ebjd is blind in that eye he eats and swims fine and has a go at any one who goes near him. The eye just looks so weird i will attach a photo can you tell if he is blind? And what sex it is?

This is the good eye

Attachments

• 20230207_144536.jpg
    20230207_144536.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 27
And bad eye

Attachments

• 20230207_144524.jpg
    20230207_144524.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230207_144523.jpg
    20230207_144523.jpg