Harry Potter!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Have you read all of the Harry Potter series?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Some of them

• Total voters
I've read them all (no surprises there) and can see easily why they are so popular - the imagery matches so closely with the problems of teenagers today that it would be hard not to see it.

Apart from that, they are damn good stories and I'm sorry Peter (Lard) but they are just as good, if not better, than some of TPs books and that makes me choke to say it.
:S

The best book was the last one and I cannot wait to see what happens next.

Long live Dumbledore! ;)

I've read them all, though I have to admit my enthusiasm for them is quite quickly becoming less and less. While I will always buy the next book that comes out, it's more a 'must have' than actually wanting to read it. My favourite is definatly Prisoner of Azkaban. Not only is it a good story, but she has taken on a different way of writing after that book if you ask me. She has become so much more depressive as well. I used to really enjoy reading the books, but the way she's writing now I just get too pissed off with the 'crying' moments in them. If the next book becomes just as depressive, I don't think I'll bother buying any more of her if she does decide to make more.

Yes I'm aware she claims she aint gonna write any more books after the next, but I'm not sure how strict she's gonna take that.

I think the films are rubbish compared to the books although the 4th film is the best so far even if they did have to miss out on most of the book! Can't wait for the final book I'll laugh if Neville is the one to defeat Voldamort!

I've read them all and love them. The movies are always a let down as they never follow the story exactly and leave out bits that I think are crucial, but that's me. My dad actually was the one that got me into them oddly enough.

The only problem with them is that as Harry is growing up and having to face more grown up situations, the books are less appropriate for younger readers, and therefore, so are the movies. I would never have taken say a 4 year old to the third movie, but people did, and they had to leave with bawling child in tow (pet peeve of mine, bringing young children to graphic movies). People assume that all the books and therefore movies, are fine for any age of child (they somehow miss the PG-13 rating???). But that's a whole different topic, don't want to get off topic.

As Erised brought up, the books have taken on a real dark tone since book 4, but I think there's a reason for that. Harry IS growing up and facing grown up challenges, which are not always happy hunky-dory times. Its extreme yes, but a reflection of the turmoil teens face. Okay, maybe I'm reading too much into it and the author is just going through a dark phase herself, who knows. But for me, the dark tone adds to the story. Change is good. If a series follows the same tone and path in every book, then every book starts to read the same, they start to blend together. This sudden change in tone sets the second half of the series apart from the first, and sort of brings in a whole new level of readers. I'd say that books 1-3 are for the younger readers, readers that would be around the age of the books' characters, and books 4-6 are for the older set, again following the age of the characters. B)

Most reactions

Back