Harlequin Rasbora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rambler1

Reaction score
I have 5 harlequins and 3 Corey’s in a 45l tank. The Corey’s are not active at all and take about 2 hours to move to their pellets on the bottom. I have accepted this! The harlequins do swim around but most of the time stay behind the plants. If anything a bit more active after lights out. All fish eat well and appear healthy. Water is OK and partially changed weekly. I am thinking of adding fish for the mid to bottom of tank. Thinking of peaceful barbs or apistos. Barbs more peaceful. Any ideas to get the tank more active?

Tetra's ? assuming your water is on the softish side. I have neon's and cardinals, lovely fish.

First and most important actually, you do not have room for more fish. This is only a 45 liter (12 gallon?) tank, and that is not really large enough for the two fish species you already have. These are what we term shoaling fish, which means they live in large groups and must have a group in an aquarium. The more the better, if space permits, but here unfortunately it does not permit. The rasboras would be much more settled if there were say nine or ten of them. The cories need more too.

Just a comment on the fish mentioned for adding...barbs are very active fish and need much more space than rasboras would, all else being equal. Dwarf cichlids might or might not be OK but the small tank and existing fish being too few rules these out.

I'd recommend guppies if you want something more lively, although if your tank is overstocked you should address that first.

Try adding floating plants, which dim the light and provide shelter/cover, to make the fish more comfortable and active.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back