Harlequin Rasbora Fry

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Llegmore

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I had 6 harlequin rasbora living in my 75g but moved them upstairs to my 35g when I cleaned out the bigger tank in preparation for my African project. I completely gutted the tank: new substrate, new decor, 100% WC. The only thing that remained in the tank was the boxed in filter. However, about 3 weeks after this change, I noticed a tiny little fish swimming free.

After a few days, and on close inspection, I could tell that it was a harlequin rasbora youngster from the distinctive hockey stick shape. I'm not sure how long exactly it's been since then - probably another 2 weeks or so - but the fry is now about a centimetre and a half long, and seems to be doing well. It picks at flake food + swims the length of the tank. The other current inhabitants (my red tailed shark and a clown loach), either don't notice it or don't want to bother it.

I was wondering what people think about moving it. I'm sure it would be happier with it's fellow rasbora, but would they bully it at this size? I have no experience with rasbora fry so I really don't know if they'd accept it or attack it. And would I be endangering it in the process of netting it up + moving it to a completely new tank. Of course, I'll have to do it eventually. Do you guys think it would be better moved now or when it's fully grown?

Sorry, I can't get a picture - it likes to stay at the back of the tank most of the time.

I'm more of a : if it works don't fix it, kind of guy..
Maybe move it once it's bigger? :)

l_l_l said:
I'm more of a : if it works don't fix it, kind of guy..
Maybe move it once it's bigger?
smile.png
That's my current philosophy. I'm just a bit concerned that the red tailed shark will take more of a notice once it gets bigger - he is not a friendly shark.

That fry has far better odds of staying alive with the Harlequins in the 35g, especially if there are no other fish in the smaller tank. In the large tank, it is only a matter of time before it will be eaten by someone.

Most reactions

Back