Hardy Marine Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdAndrews

Marine Enthusiast!
Reaction score
If i asked this on the fw section, i would probably get replies, such as white cloud mountain minnows, or danios for instance, so, is there a saltwater fish that is regarded as hardy? for a tank size of 30gals.

thanks
Adam

From what i have researched... i would say Damsels, Clownfish and Gobies :good:

Side Note: I dont think you can house a damsel and a clownfish together.

damsels yes, but you really dont want them in your tank!

Clown fish! - once they are settled and eating these guys are near on bullet proof. Related to damsels but arent as agressive over the whole tank, best of both really.

I found that marine fish are hardier than freshies full stop if you keep their water right. ITs not at all complicated to keep amrine fish. Infact its the same as freshies but with salt. You do your weekly water change to keep that water in check. Just ammonia ZERO nitrIte Zero and NitraTe as low as you can.
It pretty much the same for soft corals aswel. It only get complicated on teh water chemistry bit when you get into hard corals and nems, but by that time you know it anyways.
Anyway - i reckon they are seem hardier as they are probably handled a million times better. A £50 tang is going to have been handled better than an 80p tetra. Most of the fish we buy come from TMC where they are left to settle to make sure they are healty. Then diven from TMC to your fish shop. You get more attached to marines aswel so i reckon we put more effort in.

So long as you stay clear of some really fragile species and make sure you have the correct food available for your new purchaces then you should be fine.

One example is - some baby clown fish refuse to take food once they have been moved. You could try any number of prepared or frozen foods and NO they wont have it. Then slip a bit of live baby brine shrimp in there and they cant resist. Reseach what you buy and be prepared

awesome, thanks mate, but why dont i want damsels in my tank? I was told i would only have a few fish choices because of the puffers temprement, and damsels and clownfish were those that were mentioned, i presumed because the damsels are quick?

What puffer are we talking about?

Seffie x
green spotted puffer, tetraodon nigrovidiris, im raising him through brackish into marine as he gets older, and then hoping to keep a few marine fish, maybe a couple of corals, and also think about adding live rock, protein skimmer, and maybe more lighting and RO. Ive been planning this for ages, probably 5 months, i should be getting him within the next few weeks and then its just a matter of time as i will have to adjust the s.g. every couple of weeks. :good:

edit: also, whats good about doing it this way, i think. Is that the puffer will be able to take fluctuating salinitys, whereas marine fish wont, so hopefully, this will give me some practice and the ability to get it right ready for sw.

Most damsels are aggressive, territorial little monsters!

Seffie x

Agreed. My first fish came with the tank I bought. It was a blue devil damsel. Although it was only about 2.5" inches long, it was a plucky little sod and would routinely bite me if I had my hand in HIS tank. I'd have standing fights with it, where I'd flick my fingers in his direction if he came near me, while I was working in the tank. Funny, yes. Territorial, yes. Tough as old boots, definitely.

Saying that though, my clowns have gotten a bit territorial. Even the female bit me yesterday lol. I soon sorted them out though. I scared the crap out of them with a toothbrush which I was cleaning a hard to reach bit of algae. For about 30 minutes they retreated into the little cave I made. I wish they'd host in there, they looked really cute lol :wub:

Although I don't have my salty tank yet, I have done extensive research. The hardiest fishes that I intend to keep are clownfish, as mentioned, and a clown goby. Add the goby first though, because they are less aggressive than many other marine fish.

Awesome, thanks guys, it would be funny to watch if the damsel had a go at you, but i spose not very fun if you are the victim :lol:

I'll probably go with a clown then and see how things go, tbh its all dependant on the puffers temprement, if he is too aggressive i may not be able to have any marine fish in the tank- An excuse for another tank me thinks :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back