Hardware Of The Month - Powerheads

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I recently broke one of my powerheads while cleaning it
I like koralia and was looking to replace with the same one, I came across the new updated version, the evolution, after reading up on it I decided to order the evo 2800, I'm so glad I did, they have really improved the design, much more user friendly, they are slightly more powerful then their predecessor, the Evo 2800 has replaced the old Koralia 2 producing 2,800 l/h as opposed to 2,300 l/h for the old one (they have all been updated I just mention this one because its the one I bought ) They have a shaftless impellor, at least I can't break it again The magnet-suction cup has been modified on the Evos to absorb vibrations, which works really well. They are smaller in design and quieter, they are also more econmical, which is always a bonus. They come apart easily to aid cleaning.
I would highly recommend checking them out if you are in the market for a new powerhead

http://www.practical...nt.php?sid=2701

Ok I have been asked to do a review on my recent purchase, never done one before so go easy.

Koralia Eveolution 4000
First of all being new to saltwater I don't have much experience with powerheads so when setting up my tank I decided to cut corners and go for 2 cheap SunSun ones of eBay.
They arrived and for the first few days worked fine, then started randomly turning on and off, they were loud and vibrated a hell of a lot.
I then decided to bite the bullet and get something decent which is when I ordered 2 Koralia Evo 4000's.

Price
They were a bit pricey at £46.92 each but when you have spent the sort of money it takes to setup a decent saltwater tank this should be nothing compared to the cost. Also if it means healthier fish and cleaner water conditions then it's got to be worth a few more quid.

Packaging
The items come well packaged so limit's DOA's and full instructions included.

logo.jpg

Installation
Now im one of these people that does not read manuals, I try to set something up....break it then read the manual. Now these have been working in my tank for about 2 weeks with no problem with should tell you how easy they are to install.
The powerhead comes with a magnest support instead of the suction cup, so its as simeple as put the powerhead inside on the glass and put the magnet the other side....simples.

You can see the magnet on the outside of the tank in the picture below:

logo.jpg

Performance & usage
Great. These work brilliantly, the annoying humming sound has now gone from my living room as has the vibration.

On the powerhead side of the magnet it has a vibration absorbing clip which is fixes the powerhead to the magnet via 3 bits of rubber thus absorbing the vibrations before they reach the glass. Shown in the pics below:

logo.jpg

logo.jpg

The flow is good, unlike the SunSun's which seemed to just force water in a straight line from the powerhead these disperse the water coming from the powerhead so it covers a greater area and doesn't cause a current so strong that the tank mates can't swim against it.

To clean these is made very easy, the front pops off via 2 latches each side of the powerhead which then gains you access to the parts in side.

Warranty
These powerheads come with 2 year guarantee from the date of purchase.

Pro's

• Excellent flow rate
    Silent running
    Easy to take apart and clean
    Good length of warranty

Con's

• Pricey
    Power cable could be a bit longer

Like I say tis is my first review and had all ready fitted them before writing this so couldnt get all the pictures I wanted to put in this.

I would highly recommend these powerheads to anyone, worth every penny.

Jay

hey just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this product http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4588+20172&pcatid=20172 i like the dual direction and it looks kinda cool too, just mount center of tank on back wall

Jay your timing was perfect been looking at the Koralia Evo 4000 today
You have sealed the deal for me!!! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back