hardiest/ easiest dwarf cichlid for a beginner

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stevens2394

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the cichlid world, and was wondering which dwarf cichlids are the smallest, and easiest to keep. I have a fully cycled 10 gallon tank. The water is currently at 80 degrees, nitrate nitrite and ammonia is 0. Plan on adjusting temperature slightly to better adapt to whichever dwarf cichlid I decide on. I plan on keeping 1 individually, or a pair if they are adequate in a 10 gallon. Thank you!!

Hi :) there are a few candidates for small tanks either as singletons or potentially a pair. If you are not interested in breeding I would be tempted to keep a singleton though.

Ideally you will have softwater as this will give you much broader options.

Species like Laetacara, Nanacara, Discrossus, Apistogramma would all be good options for this size but you would need softer water and ideally you want to have a good footprint, 2 foot long would be a good minimum.

Other tank mates are viable and would help give them some confidence, some kind of tetra, particularly ones that stay in the upper third would be great, could have a stocking like 1 dwarf, 8 tetras (Depending on species).

Wills

Hi :) there are a few candidates for small tanks either as singletons or potentially a pair. If you are not interested in breeding I would be tempted to keep a singleton though.

Ideally you will have softwater as this will give you much broader options.

Species like Laetacara, Nanacara, Discrossus, Apistogramma would all be good options for this size but you would need softer water and ideally you want to have a good footprint, 2 foot long would be a good minimum.

Other tank mates are viable and would help give them some confidence, some kind of tetra, particularly ones that stay in the upper third would be great, could have a stocking like 1 dwarf, 8 tetras (Depending on species).

Wills
Thank you ! What about the cockatoo cichlids, golden ram? Or Bolivian ram ? . Are there any apistos that are smaller than the ones I just listed ? Thank you !

Neolamprologus multifasciatus maybe. Could do a pair in a 10 gallon.

Apisto's ideally need a 20g so it would have to be a singleton like Wills mentioned. Rams need bigger tanks

Does depend on your water hardness really

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Cockatoos are Apistos, the other 2 are Rams so different species. If you were going for Apistos in there something like Panduro stay quite small but there are others that stay smaller too. Some Cockatoos can get quite big so would be worth researching to find smaller Apistos or look at one of the other species I mentioned.

Do you know how hard your water is? This is the most important thing right now.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).
Ph is 6.5 Kh about 60 ppm and GH about 80 ppm

Ah cool so yeah water is spot on for them :)

Whats the foot print of the tank?

Based off all of that info which would you recommend ? And would I need to order it online or are they usually readily available at your local fish store ( not petsmart ) a tropical fish store

And would Bolivian ram or golden ram work based off this info ? Sorry for all the questions I just wanna do this right rather than trial and error with these fish and they die, and I lose atleast $100 lol

I have a pair of bolivian rams in a 240l tank with lights of other fish (Cory's, hoplos, various tetras) that get on no problem with other fish, aren't boisterous or anything. Really lovely fish. You just need to be aware of keeping them with other fish that they both are within the correct temp. I think the rams prefer slightly warmer temps than most fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back