Hard water Tetra's??

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Ive heard X-ray, Black phantom and bloodfin tetra's can do well with hard water along with others

Anyone had any tetra's what suited hard water?

Trying to open up my choices....

My waters is : PH 7.4 and GH 13dgh

Cheers

Last edited:
Restricting the GH to 13 dGH and not higher (so others understand), the following are suited (so far as the GH/pH is concerned, there may be other issues).

Glowlight Tetra, Pristella Tetra (X-Ray), Costello (January) Tetra, Head and Tail Light Tetra, Buenos Aires Tetra, Flame Tetra, Lemon Tetra, Cochu (Blue) Tetra, Black Skirt (Widow) Tetra, Silvertip Tetra, Red Eye Tetra, Emperor Tetra, Penguin Tetra.

The Black Phantom was mentioned but it really will pale in water much above 10 dGH. The Red Phantom is the same, best in soft water.

Blind Cave Tetra, but tankmates have to be very carefully chosen, so this is another single species fish.

The Bloodfin Tetra was mentioned, and this species along with the others in the genus Aphyocharax are fin nippers. Serpae Tetra the same. In a tank on their own (one species) they would manage with the GH.

I've used common names, something I rarely do, but it allowed me to list the species faster than checking spelling of scientific names.

Byron your a legend :)

I prefer the more common names tbh because im still learning and i dont know the scientific names as of yet so i appreciate that thank you.

I can have a good look at this list now and do my research knowing it comes from someone who knows what their talking about.

There was a list from another site ive been on today. Even with my short experince in the hobby i know their were some big mistakes on it :dunno:

Straight away the lemon tetra's got my eye but could i ask whether or not the Diamond tetra's suitable? Ive read they can live with a Ph of 7.5 and Gh upto 15

Byron your a legend :)

I prefer the more common names tbh because im still learning and i dont know the scientific names as of yet so i appreciate that thank you.

I can have a good look at this list now and do my research knowing it comes from someone who knows what their talking about.

There was a list from another site ive been on today. Even with my short experince in the hobby i know their were some big mistakes on it :dunno:

Straight away the lemon tetra's got my eye but could i ask whether or not the Diamond tetra's suitable? Ive read they can live with a Ph of 7.5 and Gh upto 15

Diamonds are best in softer water; their incredible iridescence pales in harder water. This fish rarely looks good in store tanks because of this, not just the GH but the general conditions; but in a soft water planted tank with subdued lighting, they are indeed diamonds sparkling. My initial group of 9 became a group of over 70 (prolific spawners, and being in a planted tank of their own some eggs did survive from most spawnings over 2-3 years) which I gave to a local aquarium store when I moved. My GH/KH is zero, and the pH was below 5.

Common names sometimes are common only to the individual using the name, and may mean something completely different to others. Scientific names are necessary if we want to know what species one is talking about. It makes looking a species up on places like Seriously Fish, Planet Catfish, etc, a breeze because there can only be one valid name for each species. The owner of one of my local stores once told me she frequently makes up the fish name to better describe the fish...you can imagine how difficult it would be to ever track it down.

Over 70!!!!!:eek: what a sight that must of been.

Thank you for your help and advise Byron. I will make sure i research the Scientific names in the future :thanks:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back