Hard Drive - Running Out Of Memory

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

8inary

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have a laptop with 80g hard drive - it came with xp but i had the upgrade to vist ultimate - when i look at the progs i have
it shows merely 4g in progs, yet im using up 60g of hard drive, is there a way to see whats using up the space?

thanks for the advice, however it doesnt really answer my original question....anyone else?

i have a laptop with 80g hard drive - it came with xp but i had the upgrade to vist ultimate - when i look at the progs i have
it shows merely 4g in progs, yet im using up 60g of hard drive, is there a way to see whats using up the space?

so your running out of hard drive space not memory?

right click on your "my documents" folder and click on properties and see what size that is
also have you run any cleaning software through to get rid of temporary files and things like that

sorry my bad, i had 80g hard drive, had vista put on some time ago, however im looking at what i have on the harddrive, prog wise and i cant get the numbers to add up - i am at 60g used and 20g free - but i only have around 4gigs of progs on as far as i know, is there something i can do to see whats taking up the room on the harddrive

sorry my bad, i had 80g hard drive, had vista put on some time ago, however im looking at what i have on the harddrive, prog wise and i cant get the numbers to add up - i am at 60g used and 20g free - but i only have around 4gigs of progs on as far as i know, is there something i can do to see whats taking up the room on the harddrive
photos,games,music all take up space on your hard drive/films is the worst they take about 3gb ago ,so if you have the likes of these on your lappy .it all adds up.
:good:
eric

If you go to 'Search' you can search for files that are bigger than a certain file size, - which may be useful

hmm i just cannot see whats taking up the room - ive been though all the normal checks/searches but clearly something is massive, maybe vista im not sure, but im looking at a loss of around 50gigs somewhere? - no vids no music either

Vista takes up a hell of a ot of free space, as it makes a back-up of whats on your hard-drive.

I only know this, due to reading about it on a forum I'm a member of.

They said their was a programme out to stop vista doing this to free up the much needed free space. Also vista use's alot of memory as well..Most people say that to run vista right..you need a minimum of 2gig memory.

I'm using vist x64 ultimate...with 2gig memoey...and sometimes my comp lags...

thought i would go through my lappy, perhaps this will make things clearer.
looking a my "C" drive, i have two files of over 1gb each: hiberfil.sys 1,038,532kp and pagefile.sys 1,344,984kb

in my directory's it splits like this:
Program files, 8.24gb
Users, 5.10gb
Windows, 13.87gb
Drivers, 63.8mb
Program Data 272mb

for some reason VISTA, (yuck, puke) will not let me check the Documents and settings folder. but on my XP machine its over 30gb, so i would guess around 10gb.
same with the system information folder, but, again on the XP machine its 5gb, so say 2.5gb

properties says the HDD has 53.7gb, used. the directories add up to 42gb, ish, if you take my files, pics vids that just about adds up.

its not just VISTA that is proflogate with file space. all the varients of windows are. funny then that MS are looking into WINLIT. WINLIT is what everybody wanted Windows to be in the first place. A graphic version of DOS. only took 20 years, dont things move quick in the computer world. :hyper:

I made a little video to show you how to regain alot of space, this usually rescues about 8gb for me. Enjoy.

Click Here

Smeg for brains vista isn't rubbish its perfectly fine since the release of sp1 and xp is no safer if you want safety get a linux distro

Steaps above by tech-frog are just the simple tools next follow this:

To start with uninstall the ultimate extra features like dream scene
Then follow these steps
Start --->Control panel ----> classic view ---> folder options----> (header) view ---> show hidden files
next put in these directories into quick search

C:\Users\*insert your username*\AppData\Local\Temp <--- delete everything anything that won't skip
C:\Users\*insert your username*\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\ <--- delete everything
C:\Users\*insert your username*\Downloads <--- delete anything you no longer need
C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files <--- delete anything you no longer need
C:\Windows\Temp <---- delete everything skip the ones that won't

Now download and run O&O defrag has a 15 day trial I think

If you still want more space then you need to upgrade tell me the model number and I will find the appopriate hdd. A hdd should always have 10% of its total capacity as free space.

Vista will take up all your spare space with the recovery points, you can turn off system restore all together, get something like acronis true image for automated backups, or limit the amount of space allocated to restore points. I believe that as you need more space it will automatically clear up unnecessary space for you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back