FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there! Have a great day. :)

Apparently Mother’s Day started as a religious holiday reference to mother church but moms stole the day

Apparently Mother’s Day started as a religious holiday reference to mother church but moms stole the day
Back a few hundred years ago the population was small and scattered. Many people lived a long way from the parish church, so there were chapels of ease in the small communities where people worshiped every Sunday. But on the fourth Sunday of Lent every year, it was the "done thing" to worship at the parish church, otherwise known as the mother church of the parish and this Sunday became Mothering Sunday.

As the population increased, many chapels of ease became parish churches of newly created parishes so that everyone now had access to the mother church. Many wealthy families now employed children as servants, and these children were allowed one day a year off to visit home - and Mothering Sunday was the day chosen. So the term now became the day the child servants visited their mothers.

The term Mothering Sunday became Americanised to Mother's Day during the last century but some mothers refused to accept this name. My mother was one of them. Have you every tried buying a Mothering Sunday card?

Back a few hundred years ago the population was small and scattered. Many people lived a long way from the parish church, so there were chapels of ease in the small communities where people worshiped every Sunday. But on the fourth Sunday of Lent every year, it was the "done thing" to worship at the parish church, otherwise known as the mother church of the parish and this Sunday became Mothering Sunday.

As the population increased, many chapels of ease became parish churches of newly created parishes so that everyone now had access to the mother church. Many wealthy families now employed children as servants, and these children were allowed one day a year off to visit home - and Mothering Sunday was the day chosen. So the term now became the day the child servants visited their mothers.

The term Mothering Sunday became Americanised to Mother's Day during the last century but some mothers refused to accept this name. My mother was one of them. Have you every tried buying a Mothering Sunday card?
I avoid cards on a whole but I normally do personalised cards on moon pig , normally Boris Johnson themed lol this was my wife’s valentines card, can’t find the mother says one but there all the same lol

Attachments

• CF7B4688-9D2B-4949-B685-837CDE14AB11.jpeg
    CF7B4688-9D2B-4949-B685-837CDE14AB11.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 49

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back