Happy Birthday To Me - From My Corys

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Coryologist

Fish Addict
Reaction score
[font="Arial][size="2"]October 11. 2010

Greetings. Although my birthday is not officially until tomorrow, The US has declared it a national holiday, to be celebrated, today. Apparently the memo reached my fish room as I was blessed with many round gifts, today.

Found 60+ eggs of C. nattereri, 50+ of C120, 40+ of C. griseus and most importantly of all, exactly 216 eggs from my original WC group of CW016's. The CW016's look far from being finished spawning. At one point, while I had my hand submerged, pulling eggs off leaves, the female swam right up to my hand. I remained motionless and I'l be darned if she didn't deposit three eggs, directly on my thumbnail. That, for me, was a first. lol. As I was rummaging around in the plant thicket, that girl just went about her business, totally oblivious to my intrusion. So much for interrupting the spawning process.

This was the largest spawn to date. I have had the group exactly 4 years, obtaining them at the catfish convention in 2006. The first spawn was in October of 2007 of 150+ eggs. Although there have been intermittent spawns since, averaging 40 to 50 eggs, October seems to be their favorite month to spawn. All of the October spawns have been over 150 eggs. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the hatch rate up past 25% of any single spawn. Fortunately, once hatched, the survival rate is almost 100%.

This is one phenomenal group of fish. I have not lost one since the day I acquired them. (Knocking on my head. It's the closest wood I could find.) The females are monsters - as impressive as any Cory I have ever kept. If I could only keep one Cory for the rest of my days, this is the species I would choose. I really, really love this fish.

Oh, did I mention a nice spawn from one of my best pair of Philippine Blue angelfish? We call that, "the icing on the cake."
w00t.gif

Happy birthday, to me. Cheers. - Frank[/size][/font]
[font="Arial] [/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]
cw_016_1a_hq.jpg

[/size][/font]

Wow what a great Birthday prezzie!! :good:

Happy Birthday, hope it continues to be a good one :bday: :drink: :-

Happy belated Birthday Frank :-

Fab news on your spawnings...bless that female using your thumbnail :lol:

Most reactions

trending