Handmade Dog Collars

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Happy to be in the dark ages then .... much happier place than the modern world for a start.

In all honesty I want to say I didn't take the replies to my comments as a personal attack I was simply trying to get my point across .. albeit not very well (late at night, feeling rather sleepy, perhaps a little grumpy too!) 

Every dog is different and so is every owner. My own dog is very nervous ... she was a shy, nervous pup and she's now a nervous old lady. We tried various forms of walking aids - a standard collar, a half check (I'm with you Ch4rlie - can't stand the full choke chain) and the halti too. When she was a pup/young dog harnesses were only just coming onto the market and so we never tried a harness and she's now too old to start changing things and it's just not needed.

Every dog owner makes decisions about what to use based on the dog, experience and many other factors. But on a side note it's worth mentioning that it is illegal in the U.K to keep a dog without a collar. I believe it is also illegal for that collar not to have an I.D tag - that's what I was told by the Blue Cross when I adopted Tara.

My personal preference is for my dog to wear a sturdy collar with a strong metal buckle. That is my preference. It has nothing to do with whether she pulls or not ... it's just a personal preference. If that means I'm living in the dark ages then I'm certainly not living in the dark ages alone. My other personal preference is to walk her in places away from roads ... somewhere I can unclip her lead and allow her to be a dog. She's not a toy ... she's an animal and she needs freedom to run and play and sniff and greet other dogs.

I do like the look of the collars in this thread but based on the sales pitch I won't be investing in one. 

Made a rather long lead today for a customer. I do get the feeling she will regret the colour choice when the ground is wet and muddy!

skybluetraininglead_zpscsjbjcbu.jpg

An order i made for a customer today with all metal hardware on it. 

purplemetalbuckle_zps41w38nqk.jpg

Thats nice actually, quaility looks good from that pic.

I like that one, did same customer order a matching lead as well?

now that one I would buy. Purple is my favourite colour. I went looking today for a new collar for Tara and every single one - besides the leather ones with studs on (designed for staffies and such-like) or the greyhound/wippet colours had a plastic clasp. 

Ch4rlie said:
Thats nice actually, quaility looks good fromt hat pic.

I like that one, did same customer order a matching lead as well?
Sadly not. Tempted to make a lead up for picture purposes though.
Akasha72 said:
now that one I would buy. Purple is my favourite colour. I went looking today for a new collar for Tara and every single one - besides the leather ones with studs on (designed for staffies and such-like) or the greyhound/wippet colours had a plastic clasp. 
Since this thread i have looked and noticed a real lack of metal hardwared fabric collars, rather odd!

The ones I use.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 347
we currently have a Wainwrights padded fabric collar with a metal buckle but it's a horrible brown colour and it's going a bit threadbare. I would look at those gmc as the clasp is metal ... even though it's a push clasp and not a buckle I would be more trusting because it's metal. I've not seen that make in my area though. 

Also without being a preacher if a dog pulls enough for you to worry about clips coming apart
A properly trained dog should never pull on its lead, The dog should walk with its head or shoulder even with your hip. Its called training your dog to heel. You lead the dog not the other way around.

And some of the plastics are stronger than steel now days. 

I can understand people not trusting plastic clips; I was walking my mum's young collie last summer when he got over excited when a rabbit ran out of the hedge right in front of us. The plastic clip on that collar snapped when he lunged forward, which even well trained dogs can do when something unexpected happens.

I remember my old German shepherd pulling me over when some idiot let off a firework in the back garden of a house we were walking past (No! i wasn't walking my dog on bonfire night! It was a fortnight before! A fortnight! I was so angry 
angry.png
), and she was incredibly well trained; we used to do obedience demonstrations for the kids in the park; heelwork off lead, recalls, distance control (I could make her lie down from a good 100 yards away when she was running, just by shouting, "down"). She was very big, even for a GSD, and it would have been a hell of a plastic clip to hold in those circumstances!

I would say that all animals, however well trained they are, are never 100% predictable in every situation, and wanting a secure collar and lead is nothing more than good ownership; of course, we all have our own ideas of what 'secure' is, but we shouldn't need to be arguing about training, just because some people feel they want a higher level of 'secure' than others
smile.png

thank you Fluttermoth. You said far better than I could :)

I agree.well said.
My dogs are well trained but on occasions can pull.

Anyhoo.can I ask how much your collars are?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back