Halide - 10k/14k

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

macpegg

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have just purchased an aqua medic set of halides that holds two double ended blv bulbs at either end and a twin set of actinics in the centre.

The issue i have is that i have a 14k at one end and a 10k at the other. Is this setup correct? As one end is blue'r then the other, guessing coz the kelvin difference. Is it best to hav both the same colour and will the corals suffer coz of the kelvin difference?

thanks

The corals wont suffer, but its best for aesthetics from our point of view to have matching kelvins. Might wanna pick your favorite of the two and buy one more of the same brand (sometimes the Kelvin colour between brands can change). :good:

The corals wont suffer, but its best for aesthetics from our point of view to have matching kelvins. Might wanna pick your favorite of the two and buy one more of the same brand (sometimes the Kelvin colour between brands can change). :good:

Thanks.

Also im no expert, but looking at the ballasts either side and they read that they are 250W, but i only see 150W halides on either side, does this mean they could handle 250W halides also?

Hummm, you need to be very very careful mixing and matching bulb and ballast wattage. Improper matches can lead to the demise of either component. Double, if not triple check what ballast you have, what its wattage rating is, and if it's magnetic or electronic.

Hummm, you need to be very very careful mixing and matching bulb and ballast wattage. Improper matches can lead to the demise of either component. Double, if not triple check what ballast you have, what its wattage rating is, and if it's magnetic or electronic.

the rest of the ballasts text is not very readable, its an aquaspacelight. Bought is 2nd hand for £150.. I know the 10k halide is an aqua medic as the logo is sill on it, as for the 14k halide, no logo is present but other text is, but nothing to suggest what make/model it is. SO prob best bet is either to go for 2 14k ones incase the colour just aint just right or one 10k one to match the other. as 150w are in at the moment i`ll leave it at that. He did replace one side and does show 250W but its too damn hot at the moment to check it, but will look again once cooled.

Does anyone know where you can buy the replacement ballasts for these lights including the ballast needed to power the 2x24w blue actinics which are present at the monet, but i am told the ballast can take 36w/48w i cannot remember what he said. Again the make of them are unreadable unfortunatly from the ballast itself.

thanks

If you're even remotely sufficient at DIY, you can buy metal halide outdoor floodlights and remove their ballast and use that...

If you're even remotely sufficient at DIY, you can buy metal halide outdoor floodlights and remove their ballast and use that...

I nva thought of that... Hmm thats a pretty good idea, work out cheaper also. I not fantastic at DIY but changing ballasts aint hard. thanks bud i`ll give that a shot

Anytime :). It's really just swapping out 4 or 5 wires and that's it... Not hard at all. I know for sure Matt and Andy know where to get them in the UK although other people must know where to find them too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back