Half Marathon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
hi, i do a lot of long distance running. squats work your lower body a lot. to get better at running you need to practice a lot. i do a long run every other night, and do weightlifting/pressups/situps etc. in between. if you use a cross trainer then you are less likely to injure yourself falling in a rabbit hole. :lol: sprinting is also really good for improving your long distance running. if you keep doing 50m bursts with a 30s rest every couple then it builds up your stamina. on my cross trainer i build up the resistance and the amount of time i go on it. i started off only doing like 5 mins, but now i can go for ages. it's crucial not to give up though. when racing it's really tempting to give up and have a rest. but you've just got to fight the urge. sometimes i over do it and it makes me sick, but i think it's better than thinking you could have done better. you've got to know your limits, and try to push them. but in the actual race, don't go too fast. you can push yourself really hard in training, but in the race go as fast as you think you can go for the whole thing. don't go really fast at the start, and then run out of energy at the end. it seems impossible at first to run really far, but if you build it up gradually, you hardly notice that your going further than before. try to set yourself targets. like promise yourself that you'll get just a bit further each time. and i find it a lot better if i'm listening to some music when i'm running. i listen to some quite fast music too get me going.

cheers :good:

and i find it a lot better if i'm listening to some music when i'm running. i listen to some quite fast music too get me going.

cheers :good:

I normally have soemthing like killswitch engage for my weight lifting...

I'm thinking No use for a name for running... and a bit of billy talent every now and again actually, pendulum might be good.

check the temperture. having been training in the cold weather in the uk, paris was only 3C hotter than what i'm used to, i found it really hard going. - or maybe that was just me.

Hi Fella,

Im sorry about your mum and think thats a really nice thing your going to do by doing the run!!

I have ran 6 halfs and 1 full.

My advice to you would be:

- Get good running shoes - some shops will test the way you run to ensure you get a pair suitable to you
- Have a look around your area to see if there is any running clubs around that can help you. I run a lot but have noticed a serious difference from training with a club.
- Enjoy it!! Sometimes it will be a slog to make yourself go but you will ALWAYS feel better after you have done it.
- Don't push the miles up too fast too early. You have a year to train for it so dont go knackering or boring yourself by pushing the miles up too early.
- set yourself the goal of completing a 10K by the end of September to see how your going. There will be lots of races on if you look around.

Good luck with it matey!!

Thanks.
I was thinking about new trainers actually. Mainly because I forgot when I got these ones about feet swelling. So they're fine on the way to the gym, but uncomfy and tight on the way back.

At tho moment I'm only doing 2 miles 3 days a week. I figure when I can do more I'll do more. But I'm also doing toning andba couple more cardio bits.

Monday:
10 minutes on bike, mid resistance between 70 and 80 rpm
stretch
25 minutes treadmill 2 minute walk, 7 run 3 walk 7 run 6 fast walk.
10 minute rowing machine between 25 to 30 spm.
Then toning. Monday is triceps pecs and shoulders.

Wednesday:
same cardio but it's biceps back and shoulders

Friday:
again same cardio but toning legs abs and a bit more arm work.

I'm losing my belly, but not weight since I'm getting more muscle. And I think my training plan is pretty good, just when I think I can't do any more cardio, I'm on the rower doing more... And not dying.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back