Hair and Beard Algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jean Feil

Reaction score
How do you used Hydrogen Peroxide to remove Hair Algae?

How do you remove Beard Algae?

Thanks!

If you have fish or invertebrates or even live plants in the tank, don't add chemicals like hydrogen peroxide. I know some do, but that does not mean it is safe.

Algae is natural and will occur in any healthy balanced aquarium. The aim is to keep it under control, and with problem algae this can mean allowing some but controlling any increase. This is the usual approach in planted tanks because the algae can smother and kill plant leaves. In the absence of live plants, there is actually a benefit to algae, but an excess usually means something is wrong.

More info on the situation might help us suggest whatever.

More info on the situation might help us suggest whatever.
The algae must grow somewhere, in my case on driftwood (BBA) and I cannot get rid of it.
I have a 60L tank with 12 tablespoons of aquarium salt in.. Would this kill of my BBA?

How do you used Hydrogen Peroxide to remove Hair Algae?

How do you remove Beard Algae?

Thanks!
I tended to get beard algae when my filter was dirty. Lots of organics can get stuck in tubing and filter media and such which in excess can contribute to algae. Giving the filter a good cleaning couldnt hurt. No need to use any chemicals which can be harmful, just plain old de chlorinated water to rinse things out.
Other than that decreasing feeding can help discourage algae as well. If one is feeding twice switch to once if once a day go every other day. Imbalance in light contributes to algae. Too bright not bright enough too long length of time. If over 8 hrs a day try decreasing time light is on to 8 hours or under 8. Algae needs 8 hours of light to thrive plants dont, that includes outside the tank lights from room ligjts, windows, even tvs. If light isnt on a timer put it on a timer and when tank lights go off keep all outside light off tank. I use a towel over the front pane to keep light out. Be consistent with water changes, water changes take out excess nutrients and also dilute algae spores. If you dont have snails and your water or other fish allow it snails do a good job managing algae before it gets out of control. Nerite snails are the best algae eating snails in my opinion. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back