Hair Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

as mentioned i dont believe you have hair algae.Currently going through a hair algae problem in my new tank, for me its the lighting, im seeing amazing plant growth but also a mass of hair algae (need to swap out the marine white light). Control wise iv been using amano shrimp, watched one the other day sit on a java fern leaf and clean the whole thing, problem is i need more of them :shifty:
thats not solving the problem imo that just masking it

I disagree. If you have inhabitants in your tank and they eat all the algae that is produced, that sounds like a balanced system to me. Now, if you add chemicals to kill the algae, that is masking it. Using algae growth to feed your shrimp is a fine system, if you ask me. And I think the shrimp will be healthier that way than if you feed them any other type of food.
And what happens when the shrimp die they cant raise shrimplets in fresh water they need brackish i believe

All true to a point, a small amount of hair algae is not a concern to me, in fact i try to encourage it as a food source, atm i have to much growing due to incorect lighting the simple fix is to replace the bulb (planned) and in the mean time iv reduced the lighting period. adding more shrimp would also take care of the problem and is another future plan of mine as i only have 5 in a 260ltr atm (transfered from a smaller tank). if one should die, you add more in the same manner ppl do with fish ;)

ah fair enough mate i had visions of big bushes of algae lol, should work out great from your description of the tank

Most reactions

trending

Back