hair algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

renaldz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i just wanted to know what fish or invertabrates i could get for my tank that could help get rid of hair algae? I allready own 1 brown spiny urchin but all he does is stay in the rocks and hardly moves :S
thanks
renaldz

Getting a cleanup crew to eat hair algae is a toughy. Trochus and turbo snails might do it if you trim it short if possible. Tangs are know to eat it/pick at it, but, they can't stay for long in a small tank. The real question is what's causing it to take off? SH

well when i went to the lfs and told them about it the guy suggested that it may be the food that i was giving them. he said it contains phosphate and that is what hair algaefeed off?
thanks

Turbo snails plough right through it - they're your best bet I think. I've got a zebra striped hermit who picks at it a bit, but doesn't scour it clean liek the turbos do.

My firefish tries to eat it but spits it out again. Then he forgets that he didnt like it and tries to eat it again :D . He just poos it right out again though.

Sam

EDIT: Woopsy sorry didn't see how old this thread was!

As steelhealr says, the cause needs to be identified so it can be treated rather than just curing the problem but I would consider an Algae Blenny (Lawnmower Blenny) to help crop the algae, mine seems to like all types of algae.

(I wasn't paying attention to dates either!)

I have a mine urchin and he ploughs thru any length hair algae leaving the rock clean, sometimes leaving some of the coraline, which is a bonus!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back