Hair Algae On Amazon Swords

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

alysonpeaches

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My tank is 3 months old, water testing stats have been fine for some time and I just test Ammonia and nitrite weekly. They remain at zero. My amazon swords have hair like algae on them. What has caused this and what should I do about it? I noticed my bristlenose doesnt eat it.

you always have ammonia, your test kit cant detect it, it only shows what is safe for fish.

low CO2, low nutrient levels and ammonia spikes

Overdosing Flourish Excel (3x) can help.

1) remove as much as possible
2) big 50-80% w/c
3)overdose flourish excell until cleared

If it's black, then it's probably black beard algae, usually a good sign of inadequate CO2 levels.

Ade

Is the only way to increase CO2 to buy an expensive CO2 system or mess about with yeasts?

I have a lot of aeration in that tank, a long airstone and a venturi device on the filter output. Could this cause it? I presume that as there is oxygen in the air, increasing oxygen in the tank will decrease CO2.

I will check flourish excel out, but will it harm any of the fish? I have corys, platys, a bristlenose, neon tetras and danios.

Increasing oxygen doesn't in itself appreciably decrease CO2, but aereation and surface turbulence does, because CO2 loves to evaporate from the water column when given the chance.

excel is completley safe for fish, you could up the dosing slowly

day1 - normal dose
day2 - overdose by 2x
day3 - overdose by 3x then carry on with this until it has gone.

the excel is an organic source of just carbon, so no need for an expensive CO2 kit. Instead of excel, you could go with easycarbo, it is the same but cheaper :D

your airstone creates surface agitation which CO2 escapes.

day1 - normal dose
day2 - overdose by 2x

the excel is an organic source of just carbon, so no need for an expensive CO2 kit. Instead of excel, you could go with easycarbo, it is the same but cheaper :D

So until I get some Excel I could decrease aeration/agitation and therefore lose less CO2?

BTW just ran NitrAte test and it was 5 ppm, pH was 7.5 to 8.

I have another same size tank which shows pH of 5.5. I presume the difference is due to different gravel/stones. Tap pH is 7.

yes, i would just get rid of the airstone compltley, it will help your plants give them whatever little CO2 is there. You want NO3 around 20ppm, so you need to dose this, this could also be a factor. Take a look in the algae guide and identify the algae, there a few hair algaes!

day1 - normal dose
day2 - overdose by 2x

Be cautious with the excell. Excessive amount, I have read, can kill your fish. Google it for more info. It would probably be easier to eradicate if you put your fish in another container, like a bucket. Then you could be certain not to overdose above the level toxic to fish.

i have overdosed excel by 5x without problems, fish were endlers, ottos & RCS. As you can see, they can be fussy at times. I havent heard of it doing any harm, If you increase it gradually like above, they will be ok, even if it does take a side effect do a water change and dont overdose by as much next time. When you put it in, it isnt that quick to cause problems so it is easily catched.

i have overdosed excel by 5x without problems, fish were endlers, ottos & RCS. As you can see, they can be fussy at times. I havent heard of it doing any harm, If you increase it gradually like above, they will be ok, even if it does take a side effect do a water change and dont overdose by as much next time. When you put it in, it isnt that quick to cause problems so it is easily catched.

I am thinking of using a Rowaphos sponge, has anyone used these with success? The chemical overdose of flourish excel worries me.

I am thinking of using a Rowaphos sponge, has anyone used these with success? The chemical overdose of flourish excel worries me.

rowaphos removes phosphates - phoshpates dont cause algae. Dont be worried about the overdosing, dont see it as a chemical, just your friend :) You have hardy fish anyway, trust me when i say they will be fine. If not then stop dosing it, simple as :)

the only other option is to inject CO2 or do a 3 day blackout,

Most reactions

Back