FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cameronb_01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been driven to breaking point by this bloody f****** hair algae: my nitrates and phosphates and other water parameters are fine. I have been changing water 25% twice a week. I've been dosing liquid carbon. I am running a UV steriliser etc: I have poured an untold amount of time and energy into trying to get this under control, is there any miracle cure that someone can please inform me of that will rid me of this algae with next to no effort on my part?

I have attached some pictures including a detailed macro close-up in the event that identifying the specific species of algae might be helpful.

Thanks so much in advance,

Cameron

123456789.jpg
123456789000.jpg

Remove as much manually as you possibly can...get right in there!
Anything removable, remove and spray with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).
I don't see any plants so why are you dosing with "liquid Carbon"?
Stop all dosing. Increase your water change to 50% twice weekly.
Reduce your photo period and perhaps even blackout for a few days.

lol, That's a cool green tank :)

It's green filamentous algae that loves nutrients and light. Your tank appears to be near a window and has no live plants in it. You really want a picture/ backing for the tank to help the fish feel more secure. And having lots of live plants will help, but don't add any new plants yet. Clean the tank first.

As stated by AbbeysDad, get in there and pull it all out by hand. Then do 50-75% water changes and complete gravel cleans each day for a week. Stop adding carbon or any plant fertiliser. After a week of water changes, add some true aquatic plants like Ambulia, Hygrophila sp, Ludwigia sp, narrow Vallis, Amazon Swordplants and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides).

Let the new plants establish for a couple of weeks and then if the algae isn't all over them, start adding a bit of iron based fertiliser but don't bother with carbon. There is plenty of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and tank and the plants can use that.

If you don't have live plants in the tank then you only need the light on for a couple of hours in the evening when you are home watching the fish.

I agree, some of your "treatments" are actually feeding the algae. Reduce light, and nutrients. Increase water change volume.

Because UV was mentioned...UV will not control any surface-adhering algae; UV will help with green water which is caused by unicellular algae in the water column, but not any surface-adhering algae.

A little tip, I had some hair algae when I first started and as an aid to removing them is to use a new cheap toothbrush, this was especially good for winding up the hair algae around the bristles of the brush and pulling out clumps of the stuff.

But I have to agree with what has been said, too much nutrients and light is heaven for rampant algae growth.

The absence of other plants means there’s nothing to “compete” against algae for nutrients etc.

But the first step is to remove absolutely as much algae as is possible, no more nutrients and less light time for the time being.

Tricky at first when it comes to battling against algae. But when you start get an idea of what works for your tank and what doesn’t, plant wise I mean, you will win the battle.

Did take me a while when I had hair algae as well but got there in the end and learned a lot along the way so do keep it up and persevere.

I had an out break of the stuff and went crazy trying to get rid of it. I agree with the above, but found until I relocated my tank away from a window, I could not get rid of it. I had the smallest corner of my original tank placement catching the sun. There was no trouble for about six months then I think the algae was introduced to the tank on something. Then about several months of heck. Total stripping. Boiling all the rocks, gravel, recycling, even hydrogen peroxide spray. Had to “Move the tank”. Get an algeacide and start at 1/4 dose. Watch the fish close for stress. If any looked distressed, do a partial water change. I beat it. You can too.

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I'll put them into action right away!

About the live plants: they are actually in there, (just completely covered by algae) lol

just get a picture / backing on the tank and stop dosing with carbon, and do the water changes and gravel cleans. And if you are feeding dry food reduce it and use more live or frozen food and remove any that isn't eaten straight away.

@Colin_T I feed more or less only frozen food, (Gamma blister packs). However, since the tank is quite large and often the food is minute, (e.g. white mosquito larvae or cyclops), isn't it impossible to remove anything that is uneaten / natural that the fish should take ages to consume all the little bits?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back