Had a great day yesterday...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Yesterday has been a long day for me. Had an early rise to get myself ready to be on my way to Germany. We had a gathering of the german and the dutch national livebearer society in Bocholt, Germany. There's been a lecture about superfetation by one's renowned scientists Bart Pollux (Wageningen University) within Holland. The lecture was given in dutch but simultaneously translated in german by Michael Kempkes (international author of aquaristic books and together with Fred Poeser and Isaac Isbrücker responsible for the name giving of the latest scientific name "Poecilia wingei" of the natural endler). Michael, Fred and I know eachother personally.
But we had also members that are from the UK. But it wasn't translated into English. But in some way, they've managed to follow the whole lecture. The lecture itself was really interesting. The only thing was, that it wasn't something new to me. I've even got a published article myself about superfetation. But nevertheless, I've enjoyed the lecture.
But there was also an auction of mainly livebearers (for also a number of shrimps and snails were offered). It was a real fun auction. For a number of us also bid on species we just didn't want. But it did increase the price of those fish. And no one felt insulted by it... But it did help to contribute to the budget of both societies. I myself have purchased more fish than I was planning to. I had one styrofoam box, cooler box and my backpack completely filled with bags and jars with livebearers in them.
Later on we had an open buffet. The german cuisine is a real good one. And of course, a beer to let that food slide into my stomach...
It was 1.30 at night when I came home. And despite of the fact that I was exhausted, I continued unpacking those fish and put them in quarantine tanks. And even in some buckets. There were some new species and fish that are just fresh blood for my existing colonies. For some fish were already in those bags for at least, 2 days. Unfortunately, two fish have died when I got them out of the styrofoam box. Which I've already expecting to be. They were a bit too wiggly in those bags. And they were probably too long in those bags.

IMG_1899[1].JPGIMG_1903[1].JPGIMG_1905[1].JPGIMG_1901[1].JPGIMG_1906[1].JPGIMG_1911[1].JPGIMG_1912[1].JPGIMG_1916[1].JPGIMG_1917[1].JPGIMG_1918[1].JPG
And I was financially prepared of course...
IMG_1908[1].JPG It always comes with a price, huh... 😉

Yesterday has been a long day for me. Had an early rise to get myself ready to be on my way to Germany. We had a gathering of the german and the dutch national livebearer society in Bocholt, Germany. There's been a lecture about superfetation by one's renowned scientists Bart Pollux (Wageningen University) within Holland. The lecture was given in dutch but simultaneously translated in german by Michael Kempkes (international author of aquaristic books and together with Fred Poeser and Isaac Isbrücker responsible for the name giving of the latest scientific name "Poecilia wingei" of the natural endler). Michael, Fred and I know eachother personally.
But we had also members that are from the UK. But it wasn't translated into English. But in some way, they've managed to follow the whole lecture. The lecture itself was really interesting. The only thing was, that it wasn't something new to me. I've even got a published article myself about superfetation. But nevertheless, I've enjoyed the lecture.
But there was also an auction of mainly livebearers (for also a number of shrimps and snails were offered). It was a real fun auction. For a number of us also bid on species we just didn't want. But it did increase the price of those fish. And no one felt insulted by it... But it did help to contribute to the budget of both societies. I myself have purchased more fish than I was planning to. I had one styrofoam box, cooler box and my backpack completely filled with bags and jars with livebearers in them.
Later on we had an open buffet. The german cuisine is a real good one. And of course, a beer to let that food slide into my stomach...
It was 1.30 at night when I came home. And despite of the fact that I was exhausted, I continued unpacking those fish and put them in quarantine tanks. And even in some buckets. There were some new species and fish that are just fresh blood for my existing colonies. For some fish were already in those bags for at least, 2 days. Unfortunately, two fish have died when I got them out of the styrofoam box. Which I've already expecting to be. They were a bit too wiggly in those bags. And they were probably too long in those bags.

View attachment 146156View attachment 146157View attachment 146158View attachment 146159View attachment 146160View attachment 146161View attachment 146162View attachment 146163View attachment 146164View attachment 146165
And I was financially prepared of course...
View attachment 146166 It always comes with a price, huh... 😉
Sounds awesome! What kind of fish did you get? Sorry if you mentioned it in your post. I’m riding a exercise bike & the font is small on this iPad, so I miss stuff.

Sounds awesome! What kind of fish did you get? Sorry if you mentioned it in your post. I’m riding a exercise bike & the font is small on this iPad, so I miss stuff.
Fresh blood for my exisiting popualtions. And some extra other species. Total of 31 bags, 5 bottles and 2 cases of fish.
Xiphophorus hellerii Rio jimba
Xiphophorus nezahualcoyotl
Xiphophorus alvarezi, Rio candalaria, Quatemala
Xiphophorus signum
Xiphophorus continens
Xiphophorus meyeri
Xiphophorus milleri
Xiphophorus variatus DDR strain
Xiphophorus variatus Tampico
Xiphophorus variatus La laguna
Xiphophorus maculatus Purpur, Kat's lagoon,Belize
Xiphophorus maculatus Nueva laria quintana
Girardinus metallicus
Xenophallus umbratillis
Phalloceros caudimaculatus auratus
Neoheterandria tridentiger
Poecilia chica
Priapichthys annectens
Characodon audax, El toboso
Chocolate mollies, black eyed

With the exception of the chocolate mollies and the Xiphophorus variatus (DDR strain), all other livebearer species are wild species.

Fresh blood for my exisiting popualtions. And some extra other species. Total of 31 bags, 5 bottles and 2 cases of fish.
Xiphophorus hellerii Rio jimba
Xiphophorus nezahualcoyotl
Xiphophorus alvarezi, Rio candalaria, Quatemala
Xiphophorus signum
Xiphophorus continens
Xiphophorus meyeri
Xiphophorus milleri
Xiphophorus variatus DDR strain
Xiphophorus variatus Tampico
Xiphophorus variatus La laguna
Xiphophorus maculatus Purpur, Kat's lagoon,Belize
Xiphophorus maculatus Nueva laria quintana
Girardinus metallicus
Xenophallus umbratillis
Phalloceros caudimaculatus auratus
Neoheterandria tridentiger
Poecilia chica
Priapichthys annectens
Characodon audax, El toboso
Chocolate mollies, black eyed

With the exception of the chocolate mollies and the Xiphophorus variatus (DDR strain), all other livebearer species are wild species.
I’m a bigger newbie than I thought! Don’t recognize any of those fish except the mollies & didn’t know they came in other colors. My two are the typical black. I will google your list. Thanks for posting it. I love learning new things. 🙏🏻

I’m a bigger newbie than I thought! Don’t recognize any of those fish except the mollies & didn’t know they came in other colors. My two are the typical black. I will google your list. Thanks for posting it. I love learning new things. 🙏🏻
Well, most are rare livebearers. Btw, the Poecilia chica is also a molly. The socalled dwarf molly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back