Guppys

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

g930751

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi people I have guppys in my tank and noticed that there tails are shredded and then they die don't know why because all my other fish seem to be fine
0fbdf42f249cac8b51e8b42f143c3a5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

That's not enough information for us to be able to help you, I'm afraid...

Could you post; the size of tank and whether it's cycled, what inhabitants there are (species and numbers) and the results of any water tests you've done, including pH and hardness if you know them.

Once we know all that, we can probably work out what's going on:)

64 litres been running about 5- 6 months with live plants I have xray tetra, cardinal tetra, electric blue rams, zebra loaches, mollies, danios and shrimp. My ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0 and
nitrate is about 40 to 80 can't tell but always been that not just spiked

The tetras and probably the ram and loaches could be beating them up. If they are stressed enough they can die. 

Do you generally see males with torn up tails? Or females as well? 

Too be honest I don't the the difference between male and female? 2 guppys have died already in the past few days and another 2 have shredded tails and the other 3 guppys tails arnt as bad and the loaches don't seem to come up 1/4 of the tank and the guppys only go down half way , the two rams are quite shy there keep to them selves also I have had all them the fish for about 3 months all together and it's all happening now

whyguppiesha.jpg

^^^ This is a male Guppy

feMale-guppy-fish.jpg

^^^ This is a female Guppy

Note the difference in the tail (in size and colouration) and the anal fin

I have xray tetra, cardinal tetra, electric blue rams, zebra loaches, mollies, danios and shrimp.
First I think your tank is overstocked, especially if you are keeping the shoaling fish in the right numbers.

Next you have hard water fish and soft water fish mixed together.

zebra loaches, Grow to about 9 Cm. about 3 1/2 inches, should be kept in groups of 5 or more.
xray tetra, cardinal tetra Should be kept in groups of 6 or more.
danios, verry active fish that need a group of 6 or more.
shrimp. Will get eaten by the rams  tetras loaches and danios even the mollies will eat the babies.

Don't think I overstocked I have a 300 liter external filter water change ever week, loaches are about 2" and have 4 , 4 xray 6 cardinal, 5 danio and 10 shimp and they havnt been touched they actually fight fish off pellets

Most reactions

Back