Guppy Water Hardness?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BettaFishGirl

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am planning on getting 4 Male Guppies sometime in June, with a planted tank. I wanted to see if my water hardness and pH is good for them.
Water hardness: 6dH
Water pH: Neutral, but if I add fluval stratum, will that lower the pH? I have heard some people say that.
My water hardness is a little soft for Guppies, but I have heard people say they can live in that. There wouldn't be any breeding. If it's to soft, what can I do to make it harder? Thank you!

I am planning on getting 4 Male Guppies sometime in June, with a planted tank. I wanted to see if my water hardness and pH is good for them.
Water pH: Neutral, but if I add fluval stratum, will that lower the pH? I have heard some people say that.
My water hardness is a little soft for Guppies, but I have heard people say they can live in that. There wouldn't be any breeding. If it's to soft, what can I do to make it harder? Thank you!
do you have any local breeders? if you have a friend or store that breeds them locally with the same water conditions it will work out, because i think they adjust to water conditions over generations.
I wouldn't add fluval stratum but rather things such as coral or limestone to slowly harden the water over time

Ok, can I add something like root tabs instead? I still want some nutrients for the roots.

Adding root tabs will be fine but guppies would do better in harder water really, I would say 6dH was a little too soft. If you're ever unsure about the needs of certain fish, have a look on the website Seriously Fish, its the most accurate that I've found

Short finned guppies will do fine in both soft and hard water. But large finned guppies are better of in hard water. But yes, you still can keep them in soft water when they're large finned. But the problem that mostly occurs when large finned guppies are kept in soft water is that those fins can tear. So, be aware of that.
Guppies can reproduce in soft water without any problems.

What constitutes the difference between a long fin guppy and a short finned guppy. I am in a similar situation to the owner of the thread and debating how much I should modify the water to meet the guppies needs. In particular I am looking at whether I can get by with passive water amendments such as limestone, or crushed shells, or if I have to actively increase the water hardness by the addition of some type of mixed in the water hardness increaser.

When a fin of a guppy gets larger, the outer part becomes thinner (fin tissue) in comparison to the part closer to the caudal penducle. In softer water the outer part of the fin when we're dealing with a large finned guppy is more sensitive for damage. It will look like as if it's got fin rot. But it's not fin rot. It just looks like it. And mostly, it gets torn between the fin rays. This goes for the dorsal, caudal and pectoral fins.
Below: An adult large finned male and a short finned male.
IMG_9422.JPGIMG_9307.JPG

Hello. You don't need to worry about the chemistry of your tank water. Unless, you're really interested in that sort of thing. Aquarium fish are mostly raised in softer water, but will adapt to the vast majority of water conditions. Guppies are a good starter fish and if you take your time getting them used to their now home, they'll be fine. Just provide your fish with a tank large enough, say at least 20 gallons and change half the water every few days.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back