Guppy Unwell

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Evsy11

Reaction score
Hi there, i'm new to the forum, so hoping this is the correct place to post (apologies if not). I have a 54L tank with 7 male guppies and two assassin snails in it. The tank has been running for about 6 months now and was fully cycled before adding the fish. I do a 30% to 50% water change every week to ensure water quality is maintained and the parameters are still good (ammonia = 0, nitrites = 0, nitrates = 5 to 10). PH is a little on the high side (about 8), but it has always been like that and i have had no problems up until now.

The issue i have is that one of my guppies has recently started to stop eating properly. I feed a mixture of flake and hikari micro wafers and previously he (and all of them) were very happy with these, but he now swims to the top of the tank as normal, but doesn't really attempt to eat anything. I have also noticed he has done a couple of stringy white/see through poops and he has also been gently flashing against some of the plants/rocks etc.

I have tried feeding some peas in case it was constipation, but i'm not sure he actually ate any. I have also looked to see for any signs of internal parasites coming from the anal area, which were not visible. I can not see any signs of external parasites or fungus either, so i'm a little lost as to what it might be. He is swimming around ok, but does occasionally keep himself away from the other fish in the corner of the tank (near the filter).

I obviously don't want to add different treatments without knowing what is causing it, so i'd be very grateful for advice/recommendations etc.

Many thanks

White poop is an indication of internal parasites. Prazipro or API General Cure should take care you if it if that’s the problem. Good luck!

White poop is an indication of internal parasites. Prazipro or API General Cure should take care you if it if that’s the problem. Good luck!

Hi Deanasue, thanks for your reply! I have managed to order some API General Cure (i live in the UK so it isn't as easily available), but is this safe to use with my Assassin snails in the tank as well? I know some treatments are not to be used with snail or shrimp, but not sure if this one is safe or not?

Many thanks.

Hi Deanasue, thanks for your reply! I have managed to order some API General Cure (i live in the UK so it isn't as easily available), but is this safe to use with my Assassin snails in the tank as well? I know some treatments are not to be used with snail or shrimp, but not sure if this one is safe or not?

Many thanks.
I’m pretty sure it’s safe but make sure there is no copper in it. I have used it With Malaysian Trumper snails. Good luck and keep us posted.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back