Guppy Swollen Gills + TB???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Solar

Reaction score
I have 4 guppies currently.
3 of them are very pale and 1 has a swollen gill. It is not red in any way, it is completely white. Im not sure if it is a fungal infection or just a swollen gill, but I'm afraid the fish are going to die.
All fish are not in a full tank because I am going to clean it later.
The guppy with the swollen gill is quarantined. I have read some online articles and think the guppy with the swollen gill may have VHS as it is significantly darker than my other guppies (they're fancy guppies btw)
The other three guppies are together and I dont know if they are sick- maybe TB?? their spines are slightly bent (not that much) and are discolored (basically clear with fins and tail colored)

Please help!

Last edited:
1596939173230.png

1596939209137.png

I'm sorry these images are not great, the first pic is of the guppy with the swollen gill area, the paler/whiter area is bulging out. The second image is of the 3 other guppies, and I suspect they have TB because of their bent spines and mild discoloration, but I;m not sure.

Fish tank has been cleaned, fish with fungal/bacterial infection?? still quarantined. Infected fish not eating. Bought some Tetra Lifeguard, starting treatment.

Nitrate - 10ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Hardness (GH) - 75ppm [low for guppies, must get Wonder Shell??]

Chlorine - 0ppm

Alkalinity (KH) - 60ppm [low for guppies, must get KH increaser]

pH - 7.8

Ammonia - 0.5

Tank is 3.5g, planning to increase size soon??

How long have they been kept in a 3.5 gallon? They really do need a larger tank than that, guppies are small, but relatively messy fish. Is it possible to get a larger tank to keep them in?

I'm not seeing bent spines as in fish TB... guppies tend to let their heavy tails droop when they're not feeling well, which can make them look quite deformed even when they aren't. So don't give up on the little dudes yet.

When you took the water test for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, how long had it been since your last water change? A reading for ammonia is not a good sign, do a 75% water change, remembering to use conditioned water at the same temperature the tank is kept at.

How long have they been kept in a 3.5 gallon? They really do need a larger tank than that, guppies are small, but relatively messy fish. Is it possible to get a larger tank to keep them in?

I'm not seeing bent spines as in fish TB... guppies tend to let their heavy tails droop when they're not feeling well, which can make them look quite deformed even when they aren't. So don't give up on the little dudes yet.

When you took the water test for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, how long had it been since your last water change? A reading for ammonia is not a good sign, do a 75% water change, remembering to use conditioned water at the same temperature the tank is kept at.
They've been kept in a 3.5 gallon for... mmm
Ive had this family for about 4 years, but this tank was maybe 2 months ago? We had a similar tank for the other 3 1/2 years but I accidentally broke it when cleaning the tank

The tank was cleaned yesterday

I actually went to the pet store and asked a guy about the bent spines (he has his own fish so Im assuming I can trust his advice) but he said that my fish have been inter-breeding for a long time because I have only 1 family of guppies and I haven't bought any more fish (because my tank is tiny) so maybe its a genetics thing or maybe just deformed??

They've been kept in a 3.5 gallon for... mmm
Ive had this family for about 4 years, but this tank was maybe 2 months ago? We had a similar tank for the other 3 1/2 years but I accidentally broke it when cleaning the tank

The tank was cleaned yesterday

I actually went to the pet store and asked a guy about the bent spines (he has his own fish so Im assuming I can trust his advice) but he said that my fish have been inter-breeding for a long time because I have only 1 family of guppies and I haven't bought any more fish (because my tank is tiny) so maybe its a genetics thing or maybe just deformed??
Thing is, the tank was cleaned yesterday, but you're still getting a reading for ammonia. Ammonia should be at zero in an established tank, and if there's .5 ammonia now, it must have been even higher before yesterday's water change.

Thing is, the tank was cleaned yesterday, but you're still getting a reading for ammonia. Ammonia should be at zero in an established tank, and if there's .5 ammonia now, it must have been even higher before yesterday's water change.
I just tested for ammonia again, its a little bit lower. One sec, lemme take a pic

Is it possible for you to get a larger tank and some fast growing stem plants? Those tanks really aren't suitable for fish, and I think you're seeing the effects now, even if it's seemed okay for a while. I suspect it's a water quality issue, not a genetic issue. That guppy in the second pic has a very ragged tail, either getting nipped by the others, or potentially has fin rot from poor water quality. An ammonia reading the day after a water change really isn't good.

Wait, do you have a filter on the 3.5 gallon?

@essjay? @Colin_T? @Fishmanic? @PheonixKingZ ? I'm a bit over my head here

How do the fishes poop look? The fish in the latest photo you provided seems to have fin rot. Preform daily water changes (40%+) for a week, or until things clear up.

That one guppy looks like it has excess mucus, or velvet. API makes a great General cure, I suggest you look into it:
1597005806475.jpeg

(https://www.chewy.com/api-general-c...rPwwwtMNps3R4n0YoVzSZ_19O4rpo-M4aAl2EEALw_wcB)

Hope your fish will get better real soon. If you get on top of this, they will recover just fine. :)

I can't see a filter either - or a heater. Though by now there should be 'filter' bacteria on all the surfaces in the tank. But a reading of ammonia does suggest there aren't enough of them.

I agree, they need a bigger tank. Seriously Fish recommends 18 x 12 x 12 inches as the minimum size for guppies and as always, bigger is better. Those dimensions give a 10 gallon volume.

The fish with the gill area thing- it came off when my mom was trying to take it off and it swam away. (Btw I dont know what gender any of the fish are, but the names are: Squishy (for the "sick" one), Cherry, Pandora, and another one has no name)
Sooo Squishy's gill area where the infection was is red, so I think Squishy has Gill Disease, but Idk. I'm buying Furan-2 but it won't be here til Tuesday...

Hello @Solar your one guppy as fin rot which can usually spread amongst guppies, unless treated and your guppies do need a bigger space, as what you have them in is like a confined area. :)

When you clean your tank, are you taking everything out and washing it? That would explain the ammonia spike.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back