guppy swim bladder disease

guppy78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, my blue tuxedo has been struggling the last few days with swim bladder disease, hes sat on top of the filter atm, He tries to swim a little then kinda just floats vertically, hes still eating etc though which is not ideal, im just wondering if it will be safe to take him out and fill a bucket up with an inch of water and starve him for 3 days or atleast try get him to eat peas, or will an inch of water not be enough?

trying to save the poor guy from losing his balance

cheers :)

he was the 1st fish i bought and hes kinda my favorite guppy, so hoping he pulls through, all the other fish are fine.

You can put him in a breeding net with some plants.

If you are feeding him on dry food, stop using dry food and feed him frozen (but defrosted) or live foods for a week and see if it helps. Some fish ingest a lot of air when eating dry food from the surface and this can cause them to float about due to the air in their intestine. After a few days on frozen or live foods, the air gets farted out and the fish can swim normally again.

You don't want to starve him because the air stays in his body if there is no food to push it through.

If there is no improvement after a week without dry food, then it could be his swim bladder, but normally it's air from dry floating food. :)

cheers for the reply :) yeah i have a breeding net, ill defrost some bloodworm now and try that, fingers crossed! thanks :)

Guppys back to his normal playful self, cheers colin

Just in case other people read this, what did you do to get him better?

just what you said, put him in a breeding netcage to stop him eating the dry flake and fed him defrosted blood worm, really thought he was'nt gonna make it too, the way he was just vertical and still at the water surface for 3 or 4 days, his 2 mates kept swimming at the side of his cage too the whole time he was in there haha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back