guppy staying at the bottom of the tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

moderndaycait

Reaction score
i have 4 male guppies that i got two weeks ago and a few hours after i performed my weekly water change yesterday i noticed one of them staying fairly still moving not very far quite slowly and staying at the bottom of the tank (the others acting normal). i fed them a different food (a frozen cube of protein recommended to us) yesterday too. this morning i noticed heā€™s still staying there in a similar spot and also has a slightly swollen belly that has a dark reddish spot towards the front. whatā€™s wrong with him and whatā€™s the best thing i can do?

my mum thinks he could actually be a she and be pregnant is this likely? if so what should we do because i donā€™t really want to have that many more guppies at the moment

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Any chance of some pictures and short 60 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

---------------------
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?
How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the tank when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What sort of filter do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Have you added anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?
Do you add plant fertilisers, supplements or anything else to the tank?
Are there any other fishes in the tank?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Any chance of some pictures and short 60 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

---------------------
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?
How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the tank when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What sort of filter do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Have you added anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?
Do you add plant fertilisers, supplements or anything else to the tank?
Are there any other fishes in the tank?

i went into pets at home today and got the water tested and they said everything was as it should be. i change the water once a week by about 25% using a gravel cleaner and i rinse the sponge of the filter when i clean it and some pure aquarium balls to it. i also do dechlorinate the water when doing water changes. when we took him into the store they werenā€™t sure what was wrong so heā€™s currently in a bag reacclimatising to the tank water with a pea to try to help with his digestion in case the food caused it but heā€™s not eating it. we also got some salts

Attachments

• 97359599-AC58-4765-9DB8-47E60D078A38.jpeg
    97359599-AC58-4765-9DB8-47E60D078A38.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 42
  • CE006C03-DC30-4187-AD03-B7505DD63174.jpeg
    CE006C03-DC30-4187-AD03-B7505DD63174.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 42
heā€™s started flipping upside down but heā€™s still breathing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 47
It looks like he may be dying. It also looks like there is something fluffy on his underside? Maybe @Colin_T could diagnose that. I would do a large water change, gravel clean the stones, and continue to monitor him. Also continue to post pictures.

i went into pets at home today and got the water tested and they said everything was as it should be
For future reference, always ask them for numbers. Many shop workers haven't a clue what the levels are supposed to be and could say they're fine when they're not.

Even better, get your own test kit. Checking ammonia and nitrite is always the first thing to do when a fish is acting a bit odd.

heā€™s started flipping upside down but heā€™s still breathing
The fish in the picture in the bag has a bacterial infection in its chest area. There was nothing you could do to stop that because bacterial infections tend to kill very quickly.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. This will help to dilute any disease organisms in the tank.

Monitor the remaining fish for any unusual symptoms. If they look unwell, stop eating or develop any red patches, post pictures and video straight away.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back