Guppy pregnant

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Regalz

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive just started using this forum litrally five minutes ago as im a newish person to guppys. I got my guppys off a friend as fry due to them breeding, So ive had mine since they were babies. Anyway, i decided to start breeding a while ago but unfortuantly the only male i got had passed due to a water accident. So i got a new one and added him to a tank with two girls in it. He was added almost 4 weeks ago. For the first week he was really stressed and just basically hid himself. After a while he came out and started to interact with my girls. However i can't really tell if they are preggo or not since all the google images and videos look different to mine. My girls have always had a sort big belly. Their gravid spots are an orange sorta colour and they do look pretty big and a bit boxy. They wont be in a breeder box at this point unless it gets here before they pop!
Are they pregnaunt and how far off birth do you think they are??
Ill attach some photos!
( no comments on tank please )

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 52
Hi all,
Ive just started using this forum litrally five minutes ago as im a newish person to guppys. I got my guppys off a friend as fry due to them breeding, So ive had mine since they were babies. Anyway, i decided to start breeding a while ago but unfortuantly the only male i got had passed due to a water accident. So i got a new one and added him to a tank with two girls in it. He was added almost 4 weeks ago. For the first week he was really stressed and just basically hid himself. After a while he came out and started to interact with my girls. However i can't really tell if they are preggo or not since all the google images and videos look different to mine. My girls have always had a sort big belly. Their gravid spots are an orange sorta colour and they do look pretty big and a bit boxy. They wont be in a breeder box at this point unless it gets here before they pop!
Are they pregnaunt and how far off birth do you think they are??
Ill attach some photos!
( no comments on tank please )
Yes, they look gravid, hard to tell how long until they drop fry, it's more a guess based on experience than something you can predict to the day, since it can vary. The one that looks boxy, probably within the week. The other looks like it might be a couple of weeks.

Please don't put the females into the breeder box, even as they're birthing. As mentioned above, those boxes stress them out, and a stressed female is more likely to have difficulties birthing the fry. Better to add a load of plants to the main tank, real or fake, and let her birth there, then net any babies you find and move them to the breeder box to grow out for a while until they're big enough to avoid being eaten. Place floating plants at the top, or suction cup fake plants there, since healthy fry will go to the surface.

Welcome to the forum :)

Yes, they look gravid, hard to tell how long until they drop fry, it's more a guess based on experience than something you can predict to the day, since it can vary. The one that looks boxy, probably within the week. The other looks like it might be a couple of weeks.

Please don't put the females into the breeder box, even as they're birthing. As mentioned above, those boxes stress them out, and a stressed female is more likely to have difficulties birthing the fry. Better to add a load of plants to the main tank, real or fake, and let her birth there, then net any babies you find and move them to the breeder box to grow out for a while until they're big enough to avoid being eaten. Place floating plants at the top, or suction cup fake plants there, since healthy fry will go to the surface.

Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks SO much!! I dont think the box will be here in time and i was going to net them into it anyways. I think though i might put them in a seperate tank and i have decorated my tank super heavily with fake plants since i kill real ones so easily. I will be away at the end of the week and im just hoping she doesnt decide then is a good time! Tonight i will be doing water changes in my two other tanks to get ready and to move my male out! Also which one was the one that looked almost ready? One has alot of tail patterns and one doesnt?

Thanks SO much!! I dont think the box will be here in time and i was going to net them into it anyways. I think though i might put them in a seperate tank and i have decorated my tank super heavily with fake plants since i kill real ones so easily. I will be away at the end of the week and im just hoping she doesnt decide then is a good time! Tonight i will be doing water changes in my two other tanks to get ready and to move my male out! Also which one was the one that looked almost ready? One has alot of tail patterns and one doesnt?
I think the one without much pattern on her tail might drop first, she has the squared off boxy look to her, but then the patterned one also looks like she's starting to square off in the second photo, so really, either might drop really soon, and probably close together.

When you say you were going to net them out, do you mean the females or the fry? Other than the male guppy, what else is the tank with them?

Personally I would get some more of the floating plant you have in those photos (looks like hornwort maybe?) and have a big mass of that. Or I bought some cheap silk plants in a pinch, and stuck them to the side of the tank with suction cups right at the surface, which gave the fry a good place to hide. Then let the females birth there. Some of the fry should survive, and it'll less stressful on your females than moving them to a new tank or breeder box. Even if some of the fry get eaten, remember that the females store sperm, so even without a male around, they can continue churning out fry every month for a year or more.

Yeah they all look pregnant and pale tale one looks ready to go.

I think the one without much pattern on her tail might drop first, she has the squared off boxy look to her, but then the patterned one also looks like she's starting to square off in the second photo, so really, either might drop really soon, and probably close together.

When you say you were going to net them out, do you mean the females or the fry? Other than the male guppy, what else is the tank with them?

Personally I would get some more of the floating plant you have in those photos (looks like hornwort maybe?) and have a big mass of that. Or I bought some cheap silk plants in a pinch, and stuck them to the side of the tank with suction cups right at the surface, which gave the fry a good place to hide. Then let the females birth there. Some of the fry should survive, and it'll less stressful on your females than moving them to a new tank or breeder box. Even if some of the fry get eaten, remember that the females store sperm, so even without a male around, they can continue churning out fry every month for a year or more.
Its just a plastic grass plant. I had it for year and saw someone else do it and i thought it may help. At the moment they just have the guy in the tank with them and i have a seperate tank with a female betta, a neon tetra and my other two guppy girls. I am going to clean out the other tank and get it sorted for the male to go in with the tetra. Would you suggest taking the male out now?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back