Guppy pregnant

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lankyjsg

Reaction score
Not sure if my guppy is pregnant or not shes been pretty big for weeks and doesnt seem to be dropping Jo

Attachments

• IMG_20200727_205506.jpg
    IMG_20200727_205506.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20200727_205459.jpg
    IMG_20200727_205459.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200727_205447.jpg
    IMG_20200727_205447.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 98
I know but been like it for about month and a half
If it's not her first batch, then it can be confusing. Once they've had fry, they never quite go back to pre-gravid body, so can look gravid even when they aren't. So when you first thought she was gravid, she wasn't, yet was soon after that, and has been for almost a month. But she definitely is now.
Alternatively, she may have been gravid a month and a half ago, something wrong and she prematurely released the eggs, and is now gravid again.

Is she in a breeder box in this photo?

If it's not her first batch, then it can be confusing. Once they've had fry, they never quite go back to pre-gravid body, so can look gravid even when they aren't. So when you first thought she was gravid, she wasn't, yet was soon after that, and has been for almost a month. But she definitely is now.
Alternatively, she may have been gravid a month and a half ago, something wrong and she prematurely released the eggs, and is now gravid again.

Is she in a breeder box in this photo?
Noo shes in my breeder box

Noo shes in my breeder box
Why is she in the box already?
Breeder boxes stress out the mother a lot, and that stress can cause problems with the birthing. I'd suggest letting he go back into her own tank, providing some plant cover that she and the fry can hide in, then netting the fry into the breeder box when you spot them. The fry can stay in there for a week or two, but then need more space, so a 5-10 grow out tank is useful when breeding guppies.

Why is she in the box already?
Breeder boxes stress out the mother a lot, and that stress can cause problems with the birthing. I'd suggest letting he go back into her own tank, providing some plant cover that she and the fry can hide in, then netting the fry into the breeder box when you spot them. The fry can stay in there for a week or two, but then need more space, so a 5-10 grow out tank is useful when breeding guppies.
Sorry i meant breeding tank

Not sure if my guppy is pregnant or not shes been pretty big for weeks and doesnt seem to be dropping Jo
She´s pregnant for sure. Sometimes it takes alonger than the average gestation period of a guppy. In general nothing to worry about.
If it's not her first batch, then it can be confusing. Once they've had fry, they never quite go back to pre-gravid body, so can look gravid even when they aren't.
Well, females that have moved to another tank while being pregnant (even if they have been pregnant before) "can" deliver less fry for the first time in another enviroment or even hold on to the fry for a bit longer. That's not weird in that case.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back