Guppy needs help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rachealmax

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me please? I have a guppy and her tail has gone into a point and there appears to be 2 red dots on her. All the levels in the tank are all in range. At the moment I have separated her into another container within the tank. All the other guppies seem to be fine. The images that I have attached is off my lovely Luna. Much appreciated.

Edit:: I’ve attached another photo so you can see her tail a bit better. This has all happened in the last 24 hours once she came out the container after having her fry

Attachments

• 4F714FD6-0080-4958-B91E-A40F937700A0.jpeg
    4F714FD6-0080-4958-B91E-A40F937700A0.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 17C99402-B9FE-46B6-B6AB-3E7FEAD3C5EB.jpeg
    17C99402-B9FE-46B6-B6AB-3E7FEAD3C5EB.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 3CFE943F-5BBD-40BD-9CC1-126E9A66C560.jpeg
    3CFE943F-5BBD-40BD-9CC1-126E9A66C560.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me please? I have a guppy and her tail has gone into a point and there appears to be 2 red dots on her. All the levels in the tank are all in range. At the moment I have separated her into another container within the tank. All the other guppies seem to be fine. The images that I have attached is off my lovely Luna. Much appreciated.
Are you able to share the specific parameters? “In range” is hard to go off of:) how long has the tank been set up? Was it cycled completely before you added fish?

Are you able to share the specific parameters? “In range” is hard to go off of:) how long has the tank been set up? Was it cycled completely before you added fish?
So it’s a 50 gallon tank and all ranges are showing 0.00. Tank has been set up for 10 weeks and fish have been in it for 4 weeks. It was all cycled before fish went in. Everything was checked before hand. All the other fish are doing well apart from this little girl Luna. I did have her in a container for her to have her fry. She only had 2 and since then her tail has gone like that and the red dots appeared within the last 2 hours. She was in the container for about 24 hours before I put her back with the rest

At first glance it looks like it could be red pest. It is known that sometimes a fishes tail will fall off and the red patches/streaks can appear almost anywhere when they are infected.

With your fish recently having offspring I'm guessing her immune system would be compromised and let in the bacteria to infect the little girl. It is an internal infection and therefore would require internal treatment (i.e medicine on fish food). I would offer further advice but honestly I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as others on this site and would much prefer them to guide you through it.

All I can ask is for you to look up red pest and see if it matches your little girls symptoms.

At first glance it looks like it could be red pest. It is known that sometimes a fishes tail will fall off and the red patches/streaks can appear almost anywhere when they are infected.

With your fish recently having offspring I'm guessing her immune system would be compromised and let in the bacteria to infect the little girl. It is an internal infection and therefore would require internal treatment (i.e medicine on fish food). I would offer further advice but honestly I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as others on this site and would much prefer them to guide you through it.

All I can ask is for you to look up red pest and see if it matches your little girls symptoms.
Hi thank you for the reply. I had a look at red pest. It looks similar to the spots but not the tail. I have an anti internal bacteria treatment coming in the morning so hopefully that will help

Hi thank you for the reply. I had a look at red pest. It looks similar to the spots but not the tail. I have an anti internal bacteria treatment coming in the morning so hopefully that will help
Often, fish will not be affected by sickness in a healthy tank, even if there’s low levels of bacteria and such- but in the case of your fish, because she gave birth and therefore had a compromised immune system, she was not able to fight off the infection she normally would have been able to handle.

Often, fish will not be affected by sickness in a healthy tank, even if there’s low levels of bacteria and such- but in the case of your fish, because she gave birth and therefore had a compromised immune system, she was not able to fight off the infection she normally would have been able to handle.
Thank you for the help. I’m very new to all this so still learning as I go about these diseases and things. She also had a bit off a problem when she was having her fry. Only 2 made it and it looked like she had more as they were all stuck together. Hopefully this treatment will work. Will she need to be separated from the others? While getting treatment

It is sometiemes an injury from males biting.
My females get a lot of spots pn the side of belly when finished breeding. Seperate her if you think its that.
One time i accidentlalt hit a small male with a rock and he had a tiny red dot on his head but after a few weeks hes all good
If shes completely active i think its that

It is sometiemes an injury from males biting.
My females get a lot of spots pn the side of belly when finished breeding. Seperate her if you think its that.
One time i accidentlalt hit a small male with a rock and he had a tiny red dot on his head but after a few weeks hes all good
If shes completely active i think its that
She isn’t really moving around. It’s more like a lump, she has on on the belly and one on her head and her tail has gone into a point. I’ve got some treatments coming in the morning for her. At first I thought she bumped her tail as she was coming out the container once she had her fry but then the lumps appeared in the last couple hours

The fish has clamped fins, which is normally caused by poor water quality, or a bacterial or protozoan infection.

The fish has an infection in its head (red in the head and gill area. This can be caused by poor water quality, or a bacterial, viral or protozoan infection.

The red dot on the back looks like a wound and does not look like a disease.

The fish might have been injured when you put it in the breeding trap, or it might have panicked while in the trap and injured itself.

------------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water change and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Add some salt, (see directions below).

If there's no improvement after a week with salt, or it gets worse during that time, post some more pictures.

Get the fish out of the breeding trap. They should not be used for gravid/ pregnant females.

------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

The fish has clamped fins, which is normally caused by poor water quality, or a bacterial or protozoan infection.

The fish has an infection in its head (red in the head and gill area. This can be caused by poor water quality, or a bacterial, viral or protozoan infection.

The red dot on the back looks like a wound and does not look like a disease.

The fish might have been injured when you put it in the breeding trap, or it might have panicked while in the trap and injured itself.

------------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water change and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Add some salt, (see directions below).

If there's no improvement after a week with salt, or it gets worse during that time, post some more pictures.

Get the fish out of the breeding trap. They should not be used for gravid/ pregnant females.

------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.
Thank you so much. I will start all this in the morning as it’s getting a bit late now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back