guppy/molly?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

archfry

Reaction score
There seems to be different opinions are this subject and I want to know if anyone is positive if a guppy and a molly can bred. I have a female molly that seems to be pregnant-early stages- and the guppy has been the only one rubbing against her (though I'll admit a male molly has started to) The guppy has been around the female constantly it seems. I only saw the male dalmation molly interact with the female yesterday, but he has been fighting with the other male. If she is pregnant which one is most likely the father?

10g tank: 3 mollies, 1 guppy, 1 glo-light tetra, 1 plecostomus

Is it possible for mollies and guppies to interbreed? Yes. Which one is most likely the father for your fish? Definitely the molly.
It's not exactly easy as pie for guppies and mollies to create offspring, and may not even be possible for all pairings, so I'd be willing to bet money the father is the molly.

I second that opinion. I have three virgin female mollies in a 55 with my guppy population. They are now 9 months old, and no offspring from them. I have loads of guppy fry though. So I am pretty sure it is not that they are getting eaten. their sisters have all had fry in their own tanks, so I'm relatively sure that it is not because they are infertile. But I was trying to test out this theory myself. I may have to move one of the females to the molly tank just to "see" if it is infertile. But my guess is they got friskywhen you weren't watching.

When given the choice, mollies will breed with mollies and guppies with guppies. It is usualy only when there are no alternatives that they will inter-breed.

If they have done it just once
In the last 4 months
It could be his
I reffer to the male molly that is

Just to add another thought..

If you have female molly alone with a male guppy it's possible for the molly to get pregnant without the guppy being the father!

Female mollies are capable of a form of asexual reproduction called parthenogenis but only if they are first stimulated by sexual intercourse.

The offspring share genetic material from the mother only and therefore are effectively natural clones.

Bizzare!

in my opinion their 2 totally differant fish, i dont think breeding is safely possible, i keep guppys and i know those horny males will maul a cory if they were desperate enogh, iv heard of the crossing of molys and guppys but because of how differant they are i dont think the fry will be 100% perfect, there will be defects, and i dont feal its right to bring something into the world if its only gunna suffer -_-

I agree with GD, but I'd like to state that modern guppys are not 100% perfect either. Inbreeding does that to ya

o yea, check out pics of wild guppys, their about 1/3 the size and accually look like endlers to me, dont even remotely resemble the fansy tailed variety u find in the pet store -_-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back