Guppy Mating Behavior?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MrsEspoNYC7

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have placed three virgin female guppies in a 10 gallon with an already pregnant female guppy, than I moved my favorite male to the tank in hopes of having some fry that look like him. The only problem I am having is that he seems to have taken a liking to the female that is already pregnant and is ignoring the other three. I know guppies aren't supposed to form mating pairs but this is the second time I'm seeing this behavior ( one of my lyretail males wouldn't leave the side of one specific female).
Has anyone else noticed similar mating habits with their guppies?
Should I remove the pregnant female?
What is normal mating behavior for guppies?

Any advice or opinions would be great. Thanks

Aye, normal breeding behaviors.... Ive bred so many but not really observed it, it happens so much its irrelevant to watch. Im not sure.

Yeah I was just watching this time since its my first shot at selectively breeding.

Yea, I've had males that have a favorite female. It can be annoying when they ignore all the others and chase a big pregnant female. :p Maybe you'd have better luck if you took the pregnant female out... then he'd have no other choice but to like the virgin females.

That's what I figured, thanks diddle bug.

I feel like a mean parent separating them haha

Probably the pregnancy hormones making her seem much more of a catch to him. He'd rather go for the already pregnant one as it shows how fertile she is :p

I think sometimes it takes the boys a couple of days to notice the other girls! Patience.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back