Guppy invasion

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish and coffee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am a well weathered aqua plant and fish guy from a time before internet. After a long time without tanks, time and money (about 23 years) I started up my gift from three birthdays ago ( again not really enough time or money) a 36 gallon bowfront. Once I got everything cycled I realized this can be enjoyed with a little ( ok alot ) of patience. Anyway I knew to stay away from guppies because I only have one tank and no stores that are willing to buy from local breeder. My wife surprised me with some beautiful gups and I couldn't say no. I actually found one store that agreed to rescue my babies then this virus caused this one store to close up. I pray this store will re-open sometime soon. The baby's are still coming like batches of cookies at Christmas time...... LOL

Been there do that ;) I was working on a 30 gallon tank and decided to do a silent/planted cycle. So I bought some feeder guppies. At the time the LFS had small not much bigger than fry guppies so I bought them. Later I found out that I had 7 females and one (lucky) male. As you have experienced nothing but fry on top of fry. I ended up putting them in my RES turtle tank. They no long are having many fry and the turtles seem to leave them alone. I must have close to 100 fry and small guppies, :crazy:

Last edited:
If you need to get rid of some fast them for a few days and they will eat some of the small fry

Been there do that ;) I was working on a 30 gallon tank and decided to do a silent/planted cycle. So I bought some feeder guppies. At the time the LFS had small not much bigger than fry guppies so I bought them. Later I found out that I had 7 females and one (lucky) male. As you have experienced nothing but fry on top of fry. I ended up putting them in my RES turtle tank. They no long are having many fry and the turtles seem to leave them alone. I must have close to 100 fry and small guppies, :crazy:
So many gups so little time. Back in the day you can go anywhere and unload and even get store credit.....today not so much!!! Have you ever sold or traded your fish on line before???

So many gups so little time. Back in the day you can go anywhere and unload and even get store credit.....today not so much!!! Have you ever sold or traded your fish on line before???
I have not tried online, I usually just give them to friends or my bother-in-law. What is left goes to the LFS. They have in the past given me fish food in return.

If you need to get rid of some fast them for a few days and they will eat some of the small fry
Maybe I will, not a bad idea! I'm kinda proud, I do some good maintenance and it's good to see the fruits of my labor. I must decide how I want to deal with it.

Wellcome to the club came back into the hobby last year stupidly bought some guppies to start am now getting overrun bought a pair of platties in January and already have 15 young what to do with them all !!!

:fish:I wish I stopped at 15.... LOL
I've was told to keep only males and your fry frustrations will stop!
This is my goal for now once I find a home for all these females including fry. I might have to get fry old enough to know there sex. For now lots of water changes will do.:dunno:

I have only tetras in my community tanks, I have to have all the conditions just right including lights for them to breed. My guppies are now in my turtle tank. Turtles seem to ignore them and with no cover they do not seem to be having many more fry. So far in the last year my Red eyed tetra had 13 fry that made it to adult hood (Gave them to my bother-in-law) And my glowlight tetra had 4 fry, ember tetra-0 and neon tetra -0. They are unlike guppies which can have fry so easily. So when I see a tetra fry I am excited to see it unlike how I feel when I see another group of new guppy fry.

I have about 150 babies in 3 breeds right now,( Black/blue moscows, grass tails, half black) and in the next month, I am thinking I will have another 150-200 fry are due to arrive... AND I started all this is early FEB! Ha,
...my 3 LFS are in the same shape as the rest, I have never shipped fish, but my have to learn pretty quick !!!.. I have one guy that wants about 40 female for his summer tubs, and he has like 7-8 different males, and is far enough away from me, that he is not a big competitor... hehe
I have tanks, and if push come to shove, all babies will be separated by gender, with the adults and new offspring living in the same tanks, but truly . . I am not worried.

(on a unrelate note, does anyone have a nice vinagret recipe, some thing like they use on sardines?... you know, like colorful, very small sardines... LOL)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back