Guppy humped back

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JamesA

Reaction score
Hi all.

Had 6 dragon tail guppies about a month (all male) - I've noticed one guppy has a curved back, didn't eat this morning and been swimming down the bottom of the tank looking very stressed. I'm very much assuming this isn't good, and having a quick research perhaps fish TB? - which is obviously very contagious?

Any help? I'll attach some pictures now.

Thanks in advance.

1586353878317.png
1586353899246.png

How quickly did it develop the curved back, eg: overnight, a couple of weeks or a month or more?

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks and see if it helps.

Hi Colin,

I've only noticed it this morning when I went to feed the fish. Now he's occasionally swimming to the top of the tank and spiralling downwards.

I've just tested the water and:

ph - 7.6
hardness is all fine
Nitrate 25
Nitrite 0
Also no ammonia.

I conducted a 25% water change yesterday, and before every water change (weekly) I let the water sit with dechlorinator in overnight.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Your nitrate should be under 20ppm. So you just noticed it this morning? When I think of bent spine, I usually think of genetic breeding problems or interbreeding. How many males and females do you have in the tank?

Hi there.

Yep, noticed this morning (around 6 hours ago).

I only have 6 male guppies in the tank. Any ideas?

I suppose first port of call is large water change and adding of salt?

It's not TB if it happened overnight.

It's most likely a bacterial or protozoan infection and the salt should help. However, it could also be internal organ failure and the fish is going to die. Try the salt and see what happens.

Thank you.

I've added a tablespoon of sea salt now. Waiting for new water to warm and dechlorinate before changing - and will add another 1.5 tablespoons when changing the water.

Appreciate all the help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back