Guppy help please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AndyDaly

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if you can help me, I have a guppy grow out tank and this morning they all seem to be hovering around the top section of the tank and doing random darting motions. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all ok. My water is soft so buffering with some corals and Seachem Neutron Regulator. PH is just under 7.0, GH is a little low 53.25 PPM or 3dGH, and KH is 2dkh. I gave them a lot of food this morning, did I overfeed maybe? Video below

@essjay How quickly can too soft water cause problems for guppies - that seems like super soft water?

When you say all ok, what are the water parameter numbers?

@essjay How quickly can too soft water cause problems for guppies - that seems like super soft water?

When you say all ok, what are the water parameter numbers?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25 (0 after WC)
Nitrate 5.0

My guppies in my other tanks are doing just fine.

Hi! You have shimmies :/. Shimmying is a symptom rather than a single disease, and an indication that a fish no longer has proper control of its nerves and muscles. It occurs when fish are under severe stress, most often because of environmental problems.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25 (0 after WC)
Nitrate 5.0

My guppies in my other tanks are doing just fine.
I just found out that seachem neutral regulator raises PH to 7, also adds carbonates so increases KH, but precipitates minerals so lowers GH, why would they put something in that lowers GH. This is probably my issue my water got too soft overnight, maybe.

Hi! You have shimmies :/. Shimmying is a symptom rather than a single disease, and an indication that a fish no longer has proper control of its nerves and muscles. It occurs when fish are under severe stress, most often because of environmental problems.
I think they got shimmies because I didnt know neutral regulator lowers GH, I added a little bit of Epsom salt to relax the fish and raise the GH a little, I added 2 teaspoons to the 10 gallon. Im not sure if this is the issue but it's the best guess right now.

I think they got shimmies because I didnt know neutral regulator lowers GH, I added a little bit of Epsom salt to relax the fish and raise the GH a little, I added 2 teaspoons to the 10 gallon. Im not sure if this is the issue but it's the best guess right now.
After adding the Epsom salt, my GH is now 5dgh, I maybe raised it a little more than I should, but the fish have perked up and are starting to swim around normally and look for food.

After adding the Epsom salt, my GH is now 5dgh, I maybe raised it a little more than I should, but the fish have perked up and are starting to swim around normally and look for food.
Can't go to high with guppies. Just make sure to make any changes as gradual as possible because a large change can be fatal.

Can't go to high with guppies. Just make sure to make any changes as gradual as possible because a large change can be fatal.
This is them now after raising GH with pure Epsom salts.they seem to be doing alot better!

Last edited:
Oh I though tank looked familiar! Hi :hi:

I ordered the Frogbit :)

You should post some of your betta pics. Those wild Betta are gorgeous.

Oh I though tank looked familiar! Hi :hi:

I ordered the Frogbit :)

You should post some of your betta pics. Those wild Betta are gorgeous.
Hi , I will do fore sure, thanks for tagging peeps haha they seem a little bit better, I plan on getting seachem equilibrium to keep my GH in check

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back