Guppy Has Scales Sticking Out

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

1975durban

Reaction score
Hi Just recently got a few guppies and think this female could be pregnant??? Do you think so?? Scales on belly are sticking out is this due to pregnancy or dropsy??

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t491/1975durban/SV106335.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t491/1975durban/SV106331.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t491/1975durban/SV106326.jpg

Looking forward to your replies!!

she's got dropsy hun. So sorry to be the bearer of bad news :sad:

Aww sticking out scales are NEVER a good sign :(

They're not and they fill me with dread. I've only had 2 fish with dropsy and I know now there's no real cure and reach for the clove oil.

So sad to see a fish like that :sad:

If you want to try and save her (Though by the time the scales stick out it's usually to late) You can try putting her in a smaller tank with a high salt concentration to help draw out the excess fluids. (Use either aquarium salt or unscented Epsom salts.) A good rule of thumb would be to add twice the recommended amount of salt, but only leave her in said solution for 15 minutes at a time.

I had a slew on guppies come from a pet store who all developed dropsy. One of them managed to drop four fry before she died. Only one lived, so if your lucky she may drop fry, because she does look to be pregnant, but that may just be fluid build up.

Hi Thanks for your comments, I only got her and 5 others last week from lfs one has already died, they are in a tank with 40 odd platys fry should i move them to my 350 litre tank??

A quarintine tank would be a good idea if you want to keep all those fry alive, I can't remember off the top of my head if dropsy is contagious (The symptom isnt, but what caused it may be)
So separating them would be a good idea

My Molly had dropsy and it was bad she come from my lfs heavily preg and she managed to have 12 fry and all are alive still but on my Molly she had big blister bubbles coming out her back end. it wasn't until I was told on here what was wrong with her and how long she must've been suffering for a week that I know of but she gave up

Yes she died during the night, I will keep an eye on the others, the males seem fine as they were in a different tank but I have 2 more females that were in the same tank as the two that have died.

I lost my favourite male platy to dropsy at xmas - it was the first time I'd had to deal with it. He was in the main tank with the others and none of the others got it. Dropsy in itself isn't contagious but it may be that the other fish have some kind of internal parasite and the swelling caused by the parasite has caused the dropsy.

It may be a good idea to treat the tank for internal parasites (half dose if there are fry in there). I know we don't advocate general medicating on this forum but I'd hate to hear you'd got any more fish with dropsy.

Keep us posted on how things go and I'm sorry for your loss :rip:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back