Guppy has a white dot on head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DaisyMano

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know what this guppy has on its head and I've noticed hes become a bit bent? Hes also been rubbing and flicking on the sand and decorations. Is it white spot? Or ick? See pics attached
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Ph 6.8

Thanks and any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200925_182940.jpg
    IMG_20200925_182940.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20200925_182847.jpg
    IMG_20200925_182847.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 210
Doesn't look like ich, if there's ich, you'll see lots of little dots, like the fish has been sprinkled with salt. A single spot isn't likely to be the start of ich. Can you get some more photos of him please? Really hard to see anything in those two photos. Any other fish showing signs like flicking and rubbing against things?

Also if you could copy/paste and fill out this template please, it'll help people to figure out what might be going on. Thanks!
Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Doesn't look like ich, if there's ich, you'll see lots of little dots, like the fish has been sprinkled with salt. A single spot isn't likely to be the start of ich. Can you get some more photos of him please? Really hard to see anything in those two photos. Any other fish showing signs like flicking and rubbing against things?

Also if you could copy/paste and fill out this template please, it'll help people to figure out what might be going on. Thanks!
Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Tank inhabitants:

Exposure to chemicals:

Tropical Fish Forums
D
Guppy has a white dot on head
click to vote now!FishForums.net Pet of the Month
Jump to newUnwatch
•••
D
DaisyMano

33 minutes ago
Hi does anyone know what this guppy has on its head and I've noticed hes become a bit bent? Hes also been rubbing and flicking on the sand and decorations. Is it white spot? Or ick? See pics attached
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Ph 6.8

Thanks and any help appreciated.

Attachments
QuoteReply
Report•••

[IMG alt="AdoraBelle Dearheart"]https://www.fishforums.net/data/avatars/m/141/141977.jpg?1598299479[/IMG]
AdoraBelle Dearheart
Fish Gatherer

28 minutes ago

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Tank inhabitants:

Exposure to chemicals:

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Tank inhabitants:

Exposure to chemicals:

Tank size: 120l - Juwel lido 120
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 10ppm
kH: 3
gH:8
tank temp: 24.6

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): flicking and rubbing against sand substrate and decorations

Volume and Frequency of water changes: bi weekly- 30% each time

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: filter sponges that come with juwel lido. No charcoal black sponge.

Tank inhabitants: 14 male guppies and 4 corys

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): corys added 6 weeks ago

Exposure to chemicals: not that i know of

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Tank inhabitants:

Exposure to chemicals:

Tank size: 120l - Juwel lido 120
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 10ppm
kH: 3
gH:8
tank temp: 24.6

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): flicking and rubbing against sand substrate and decorations

Volume and Frequency of water changes: bi weekly- 30% each time

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: filter sponges that come with juwel lido. No charcoal black sponge.

Tank inhabitants: 14 male guppies and 4 corys

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): corys added 6 weeks ago

Exposure to chemicals: not that i know of

I will try and get some more pictures. Hes not at front of tank at moment

Attachments

• 16010581361721412796321528775296.jpg
    16010581361721412796321528775296.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 132
Could this be hexamita? @AdoraBelle Dearheart
Unlikely to be, and if it is an external protazoan, it could be any number of them.
He's the only one flicking and rubbing on things? No signs of any illness with the cories?
Can barely see a white dot on the first two photos, and can't see anything externally that looks worrying on the follow up shots, except for perhaps the bent spine. But that could be a genetic deformity he was born with if he's always been slightly bent. If it's new, then it could be a sign something is wrong, since guppies tend to drop their tails when they're not feeling so good, especially the males since they have those big heavy tails.

Going to tag @Colin_T into this, because he's the disease/parasite expert, and the flicking is concerning. Usually I'd go right to daily water changes and salt treatment with guppies, but since you have cories in there too which are more sensitive to salt, I'd avoid salt unless you're sure it's needed.

No other tank mates showing any symptoms at all?

Unlikely to be, and if it is an external protazoan, it could be any number of them.
He's the only one flicking and rubbing on things? No signs of any illness with the cories?
Can barely see a white dot on the first two photos, and can't see anything externally that looks worrying on the follow up shots, except for perhaps the bent spine. But that could be a genetic deformity he was born with if he's always been slightly bent. If it's new, then it could be a sign something is wrong, since guppies tend to drop their tails when they're not feeling so good, especially the males since they have those big heavy tails.

Going to tag @Colin_T into this, because he's the disease/parasite expert, and the flicking is concerning. Usually I'd go right to daily water changes and salt treatment with guppies, but since you have cories in there too which are more sensitive to salt, I'd avoid salt unless you're sure it's needed.

No other tank mates showing any symptoms at all?
Hi, yes its only him I've noticed and he didn't seem to have a bent spine a week or so ago. Its just that one spot on his head near his right eye. The others seem ok but i have noticed the male guppies do chase eachother alot and are fin nipping eachother.

Hi, yes its only him I've noticed and he didn't seem to have a bent spine a week or so ago. Its just that one spot on his head near his right eye. The others seem ok but i have noticed the male guppies do chase eachother alot and are fin nipping eachother.
How long have you had them all together? Not unusual for male guppies to chase each other, but it can definitely go too far. Male only tanks can work, but I find it works best if there's a lot of dense plant cover at all levels of the tank, so there are lots of breaks in line of sight and lots of hiding spots. If there's a lot of clear open space at the top, it's easy for them to spot each other and constantly chase, while with more cover, they're more likely to lose sight of their current target and get distracted. Works most of the time, but occasionally you'll get a male who is relentless and just won't work in a male only tank, since he'll bully constantly. Males like that only seem to settle if they have girls around to channel that drive, you know.

How long have you had them all together? Not unusual for male guppies to chase each other, but it can definitely go too far. Male only tanks can work, but I find it works best if there's a lot of dense plant cover at all levels of the tank, so there are lots of breaks in line of sight and lots of hiding spots. If there's a lot of clear open space at the top, it's easy for them to spot each other and constantly chase, while with more cover, they're more likely to lose sight of their current target and get distracted. Works most of the time, but occasionally you'll get a male who is relentless and just won't work in a male only tank, since he'll bully constantly. Males like that only seem to settle if they have girls around to channel that drive, you know.
They've been together about 3 months all of them. The Cory's were added about 6 weeks ago. Yh i have noticed they are quite nippy with eachother despite lots of tank decorations.

Attachments

• 16011157899665019766094515230201.jpg
    16011157899665019766094515230201.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 16011158145222156508220097157683.jpg
    16011158145222156508220097157683.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 1601115864965555526150862516089.jpg
    1601115864965555526150862516089.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 144

Most reactions

trending