Guppy got stuck behind the filter - will he be ok?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
The question is as read in the title. Iā€™m worried about my smallest member of the team. He got stuck behind in between the suction cups of the filter. Iā€™m not sure how long he was there for I wasnā€™t home for a few hours and the light was of itā€™s only I switched it on I realised. Surprisingly he got out straight away and swam down then started swimming around. He appears okay, I know I canā€™t say that because some things may not be visible to the eye. But giving his circumstances he seems fine. Iā€™m currently trying to perform 50/75% water changes and gravel changes everyday because heā€™s got a nipped tail. I was about to do one today but didnā€™t bother because heā€™s already been stressed out enough I just switched the light back off after a few minutes. Iā€™ve noticed heā€™s always alone in the tank doesnā€™t swim to the top much, Iā€™ve removed 2 fish due to the nipped tail so thereā€™s 4 at the moment. Iā€™m worried thereā€™s a start of a pecking order going on, my tanks quite empty at the moment because Iā€™m replacing plants hopefully this will make him feel a bit safer again because Iā€™ve noticed his tail being nipped by the others now a bit :( Is there anything I can do to help him? Will he be ok? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Any fish that has been or being picked on should be moved to a fish tank by itself to recover 50% water change twice a week maybe but every day no

Any fish that has been or being picked on should be moved to a fish tank by itself to recover 50% water change twice a week maybe but every day no
Thanks for your reply. I donā€™t have a quarantine tank unfortunately. I have a spare tank that's not set up or cycled. Removing any on my media from my current tank could cause me problems Iā€™ve heard. My tanks only just cycled. I have been doing water changes daily but Iā€™ve not bothered today or yesterday because I donā€™t want to stress him out more. Heā€™s eating well still thankfully.

what I do is use the water from the tank put it in another small tank or container with fish with airline or small sponge filter

what I do is use the water from the tank put it in another small tank or container with fish with airline or small sponge filter

This seems ideal, unfortunately the smallest I have is a 5 gallon tank though. Thanks for your help.

so what's wrong with putting one fish in a 5 gallon tank
Couldnā€™t it be said that moving him even if he was in the same water could be actually more stressful? After all the beneficial bacteria builds up on the filter media. Not in the water. Moving him into a different tank with the same water would just mean the PH/GH/KH parameters would be the same so acclimating him would be easier. I think this would actually still be considered a new cycling tank.

There is nothing wrong with putting one guppy in a 5 gallon for a short period of time what so ever. The tank I have has a built in filtration system compartment designed for the tank. The sponge, biomax and carbon are much different to what I use now, which is what you describe above a filter with a small sponge. I think all I can really do for him is water changes, I suppose this is why people say you should always have a quarantine tank set up. Thanks for your help.

You are correct. Moving some of the tank water would only be a temporary fix. Very little BB in the water. I am assuming this is the baby you were posting about the other day. Poor thing has had it rough. He really could benefit from time on his own. Do you have a heater and filter for the 5G? Itā€™s such a small tank that you can do daily water changes and use Prime. Perhaps use a little of your substrate if you can from the new tank. Keep us posted. :(

You are correct. Moving some of the tank water would only be a temporary fix. Very little BB in the water. I am assuming this is the baby you were posting about the other day. Poor thing has had it rough. He really could benefit from time on his own. Do you have a heater and filter for the 5G? Itā€™s such a small tank that you can do daily water changes and use Prime. Perhaps use a little of your substrate if you can from the new tank. Keep us posted. :(

Thanks for your reply Deanasue. You are correct it is :( would you recommend moving him into the 5 gallon even if itā€™s not cycled? I do have a filter and a heater for it, the tank just needs cleaning out. Iā€™d definitely spare some gravel from the tank for him. Which prime do you recommend? Heā€™s in a 10 gallon tank at the moment with only two live plants I feel like this could be contributing to his stress. Iā€™m waiting on live plants to be delivered, the salt I used harmed the live plants I currently have. This can clearly be seen by the way the leaves have turned. Thank you for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back