April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RinRin

Reaction score
Hello! Can someone give me some tips at caring for 160+ guppy fry.

My aunt wanted to throw her sons guppies (I separated them by gender the first time I got them) so I decided to adopt them since my brother has been wanting some for a while now, and noticed that 3 of them was pregnant, the first one had 19 guppy fry that was alive, and the 2 has 150+ i think. The three of them died after birthing the fries.

The first guppy was smaller than the other two guppies, so there fries are also in a different sizes. I keep the fries in a ten gallon tank all together without other fishes, the first two weeks was good no one was dying they were all doing fine swimming around. The problem was around a month after I had them, they were dying off. A week ago when I was supposed to do their water change I found one dead, then on the 4th day found two dead. Then just today I found 4 dead, I haven't checked the corners yet, so I'm not sure.

Any advices? (Except buying another tank, I can't afford it hahahaha) What's the mortality rate of guppies? Tips Please...

Thank you Everyone

Test the tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Post pictures of the fish.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Then do it every couple of days after that.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Test the tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Post pictures of the fish.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Then do it every couple of days after that.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
Hello thanks for helping me.

pH=7 nitrite=0.5 nitrate=0 ammonia=.25

I'm going to ask for another water test in pet shop this week because I've found a total of 32 dead guppies in the span of 7 days.

The white tub pic was when I cleaned the whole tank, the other pic is where they're presently are, I took out all the planted plants because it was melting
20210720_171215.jpg

20210715_142441.jpg

It's probably ammonia and nitrite poisoning. These levels need to be on 0ppm at all times otherwise they kill fish.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for at least a couple of weeks and that should help keep the levels low enough so the fish don't die.
Just leave the fish in the tank and drain most of the water out, then fill the tank up with dechlorinated water.

-------------------
I assume you have a filter in the tank?
Do not replace the filter media/ material because it will have good bacteria growing in it and that will help keep the ammonia and nitrite level down. You need to do the water changes until there is enough bacteria to keep the tank clean.

It's probably ammonia and nitrite poisoning. These levels need to be on 0ppm at all times otherwise they kill fish.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for at least a couple of weeks and that should help keep the levels low enough so the fish don't die.
Just leave the fish in the tank and drain most of the water out, then fill the tank up with dechlorinated water.

-------------------
I assume you have a filter in the tank?
Do not replace the filter media/ material because it will have good bacteria growing in it and that will help keep the ammonia and nitrite level down. You need to do the water changes until there is enough bacteria to keep the tank clean.
I see, so you don't fully clean out the filter everytime you do water change? That was what the pershop told me when I bought one 🤷‍♀️. So I'll just change let the sponge thingy be? For how long? thanks for the advice

I'll start doing the water change and gravel vacuuming everyday? But won't it suck in the little guppies? That's why I put them on a different container everytime I do gravel vacuuming

If you don't have a filter (I can't actually see one), then put in lots of plants again, especially some fast growing floating plants like water sprite.
Won't it melt? I tried planting different water plants that I've bought in my local pet shop but they all melted (and it smells bad, so I uprooted everything) the only ones that didn't melt where my floating plants, I took the filter out because I change the sponge at that time. Thank you, I'll try to find a water Sprite, should I just float it? Or plant it in the substrate? Thanks for your help

Won't it melt? I tried planting different water plants that I've bought in my local pet shop but they all melted (and it smells bad, so I uprooted everything) the only ones that didn't melt where my floating plants, I took the filter out because I change the sponge at that time. Thank you, I'll try to find a water Sprite, should I just float it? Or plant it in the substrate? Thanks for your help
Just float it. As you said, the floating plants didn't melt. Those that do have been originally growing in air and need to grow water based leaves while shedding the old ones.

The sponge from the filter should only be squeezed out a few times in the old tank water from your water change. Don't replace it until it is literally falling apart, and Don't rinse it in tap water as that can kill the helpful bacteria we want to keep. Give it 6 weeks of running before squeezing out the sponge the first time, then do it every month during a water change.

Moving the guppy fry is a good idea before a water change and gravel vacuum. There are ways of filtering out the fry, but you filter any muck out with them so I can't see how it helps during a vacuum.

Good luck :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back