Guppy fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Venter86

Reaction score
Hello my name is Lindie

I have 3 week old guppy fry, alot of them in a 40L / 20gallon tank. I'm struggling to keep the water clean. I'm doing every 2nde day a10percent water change and i have a good filter in.
The tank have gravel in. Should I remove it? And should i add any decoration because the tank is big and empty?The tank have a white foam bottom under the tank.

I cannot find any live plants at the moment for them. I'm feeding them baby marrow and peas, brine shrimp and flakes.

The fry have gotten ich!
I have added salt to the water.

Please can you help me and give me advice? I'm new to this hobby.

Hi Lindie, Welcome
Wow sounds like you have a lot going on
What is your tank temp & do you have other fish in there?
I find gravel is difficult to keep clean with fry, cos they are always pooping.
My personal opinion would be a bare bottom or aquarium sand substrate, its just easier to keep clean.
Any decorations you have makes it even harder to keep clean
Are you sure the fish have Ich?
The best treatment for Ich is heat,not medication. But as the fry are so fragile, The heat or any meds may kill them.

Look at the feeding, & what your feeding.....you may be feeding too much or too often. I would just stick with the flake & brine shrimp for now.

I have 30 fry in a 10G with a cheapo sponge filter & its always crystal clear, i feed them 4-6 times a day with Flake,Bloodworm, Bug Bites & Shrimp wafers

Last edited:
Hello my name is Lindie

I have 3 week old guppy fry, alot of them in a 40L / 20gallon tank. I'm struggling to keep the water clean. I'm doing every 2nde day a10percent water change and i have a good filter in.
The tank have gravel in. Should I remove it? And should i add any decoration because the tank is big and empty?The tank have a white foam bottom under the tank.

I cannot find any live plants at the moment for them. I'm feeding them baby marrow and peas, brine shrimp and flakes.

The fry have gotten ich!
I have added salt to the water.

Please can you help me and give me advice? I'm new to this hobby.
Hi Lindie,

I'm also from SA, let us know where you are based and I can help with the live plants.

Hannes

Hello Hannes, I live in Pretoria in Montana near Kollonade

Hello Hannes, I live in Pretoria in Montana near Kollonade
Hi Lindie, Welcome
Wow sounds like you have a lot going on
What is your tank temp & do you have other fish in there?
I find gravel is difficult to keep clean with fry, cos they are always pooping.
My personal opinion would be a bare bottom or aquarium sand substrate, its just easier to keep clean.
Any decorations you have makes it even harder to keep clean
Are you sure the fish have Ich?
The best treatment for Ich is heat,not medication. But as the fry are so fragile, The heat or any meds may kill them.

Look at the feeding, & what your feeding.....you may be feeding too much or too often. I would just stick with the flake & brine shrimp for now.

I have 30 fry in a 10G with a cheapo sponge filter & its always crystal clear, i feed them 4-6 times a day with Flake,Bloodworm, Bug Bites & Shrimp wafers
Thank you for your reply

The watet temp is 28degrees celsius. Our area have been having load shedding the past days a few hous a day, but its hot here in South Africa now.
There is no other fish, just the fry
I will remove the gravel.

Well the temp should be fine, depending how long your tank has been up & running it may still be cycling & this can result in cloudy water, If its been running a while it may be going through a mini cycle.
As long as the tank stats are good it shouldnt harm the fry & will settle down. If your taking the gravel out, it may just need a good rinse

Are you sure the fry have white spot?
post pictures of them so we can confirm they do.

You can treat white spot by raising the water temperature to 30C (86F) for 2 weeks. No chemicals required because the heat will kill the parasites.

If you don't have a filter in the tank then do a 50-75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day. That will help keep the water clean.

Don't feed them marrow, just use baby brineshrimp and crushed up flake food.

Most reactions

Back